w124 interior light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB-tex

Car
1996 E280 estate.
Hi all

My front interior light does not operate with driver/passenger door opening and its a drag with these dark evenings. It works fully with the sliding switch on the light. Any hints on what to check and whether it is likely a single component has failed that I can swap out. Have seen several interior lights on eBay but they all seem subtly different. Apart from the obvious sunroof switch (I have no sunroof) is there also an aircon sensor concealed in there? Hoping I can buy an old unit and swap failed bit to make light function on front doors opening. Car is a '96 w124 280 estate with aircon and no sunroof.

Thanks

Tom

Thanks Druk but I thought that it was unlikely that they would both fail at the same time so was thinking elsewhere. But it could be that both A pillar switches failed. How would I test one. Pull out and connect wires I guess?

It is unlikely but it would be worth proving the feed to them is still there.

Check the settings above you head up by the interior mirror,see if the switch is in the wromg setting .If its turned off there , they wont come on, as the doors are opened .But if you have not changed the switch then it can be another problem .Then look at door switch .. Check after you change possition of the switch .If in wrong place the interior light will stay on after door is shut.

The light used to operate like an interior light should - door open, light on. Door closed, light off. This does not work now. The front interior light otherwise works fine using the sliding switch on the light. Only its operation via the front doors is not working and yes the light switch is on the correct setting. Other than the switches on the A pillar does anyone know of any likely component that might fail that would cause this to occur?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom