W124 Interior Trim Panel Removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

w124nut

Car
Mercedes W124 E320 cabriolet
I wish to replace the damaged speaker grilles at the rear of my E320 cabriolet. They are situated adjacent to the lower seat cushion (nearside and offside), and as a consequence, are easily damaged.

Has anyone carried out this task and if so, could they post the procedure taken plus anything that I may have to take extra care about.

Hoping that someone can help.

hi w124nut, i need to carry out exactly the same opperation.

I cant help with the procedure but will be watching for replies and details on how to remove the pannels with great interest.

regards and good luck.

rigel.

first you will have to remove the rear seat squabs---seat =depress the red clips at the front of the seat base and lift the squab upwards- then pull forward, This will expose the rear backrest retaining screws at the base undo them then lift the rear seat backrest upwards=they hook onto the rear bulkhead- then remove them. After that follow the instructions here http://www.w124performance.com/service/w124CD2/Program/Chassis/68-456.pdf
I imagine the speaker covers are clipped into the side trim card and will be easily removed. the speakers themselves are attached thus.

Last edited:
I had the side panels off last week and from what I remember the grilles are held in by plastic pins/rivets which are locked in the rear by tiny retainer washers which are pressed onto the plastic pins.
The speaker grille No. is A 124 690 0108 Plus colour code.

first you will have to remove the rear seat squabs---seat =depress the red clips at the front of the seat base and lift the squab upwards- then pull forward, This will expose the rear backrest retaining screws at the base undo them then lift the rear seat backrest upwards=they hook onto the rear bulkhead- then remove them. After that follow the instructions here http://www.w124performance.com/service/w124CD2/Program/Chassis/68-456.pdf
I imagine the speaker covers are clipped into the side trim card and will be easily removed. the speakers themselves are attached thus.

Hi Graeme, that link is just what i needed, thank you very much.

is there a directory of the other pdfs that are listed on the W124Cd2? as i am sure that there must be other quality reading material within the pages.

i am trying to cavity wax all the internal sections at the moment, but could do with a hood moving parts maintenance program, and electric front seat headrest reattachment guide among other issues.

thanks again, top work.:thumb:

regards. rigel.

Question on removal of interior panel

I had the side panels off last week and from what I remember the grilles are held in by plastic pins/rivets which are locked in the rear by tiny retainer washers which are pressed onto the plastic pins.
The speaker grille No. is A 124 690 0108 Plus colour code.

I have one side panel almost off on my 93 300CE cabriolet. All screws are out. When I try to remove the panel it is stuck at the top (under the window).... After 19 years I'm not surprised it's stuck and needs some force to be removed, but I don't want to break anything when I take it off. Should I expect everything to come off except for the shiny metal trim (approx 1/4-1/3 inch) ?

From memory there is a hook and the door card needs to be tapped upwards then off.

I think it was peach parts that had the 'how to'.

Thanks for the quick responses.. I'm new to the forum and surprised at the quick answers and quality of the feedback.
I'm ready to pop the panel upwards to remove, but I am unsure of what parts I will be removing and what parts will remain .... in the attached picture, will the black strip along the top (see arrow) remain, or is it part of the panel that I am removing?
Thanks again for your help... Jack
pwdosk

I think [ not 100% certain ] that the strip will just come away with the trim- as you lift the side trim panel pull it forward at the same time almost "rotating" it in a clockwise direction as you look at it from inside the car . There is this cryptic comment on the pdf detailing this operation- fraid I have no idea what they are on about.

"Wiggling" is a good technique which can free off a stubborn trim sometimes. Applying high levels of force in the wrong direction almost always results in broken clips- but in general most of these are replaceable from MB.

Attachments

• clips.jpg
    clips.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 136
Thanks for the update. I'll try it later and see how it goes. I think because it's been on there for so long, the sun has probably melded it all together :)

Jack

I had mine off a year or so back. I am pretty sure it comes away with the panel and is what the clips that hold it to the body fix to....... You wont break anything unless you are very rough.

Well, some progress. Work got in the way for a few days, but I got back at the panel today and managed to remove it. Yes, the black trim does come away with the panel. A little persuasion with a flathead screwdriver and it popped off.
My task is to fix the seat belt presenter (It sounds like one of the gears is stripped). To make a long story short I got both gears out of the presenter, and I have a couple of contacts that supply replacement gears. The odd thing is, the instructions I have show that the power plugs into the presenter. On mine it seems to be hardwired to the presenter (in two spots), so I couldn't easily get the presenter out of the car. I did mange to get the gears out, so hopefully I can get it all back together once I get new gears.
Thanks again for all the help.
Jack

Thanks to a member on here I got a replacement gear for the stripped gear in the seat belt presenter. Replaced the gear and managed to replace the presenter and the side panel.
Thanks for all the help - Jack.

It is different. The mechanism is shorter and amongst other things the controller for the cab is under the seat as opposed to being mounted on the presenter mech.

Hi - new member here (over from the MBOA forum :cool:).

The original poster has probably worked out how to solve the issue, but in case not: in addition to the four screws holding the panel on around its perimeter, the following things need to be done. 1. Remove the three grub-type screws securing the chrome plate on the door striker panel. 2. lift the rear portion of the roof so that the hinged panel at each side at the rear pivots upwards, and then push off the ball/socket joint to release the plate. 3. remove the screw holding the end portion of the trim that covers the join between the roof bars and the stowage area for the fabric roof. and finally 4. remove the 8mm bolt securing the side panel to the very rear part of the assembly, just underneath where the plate in 2. above is sited. The panel can now be removed upwards - don't forget, though, that if you want it completely out of the car you will have to disconnect seatbelt mountings and feed them through the panel, and also the window/speaker connectors.

Installation is a reversal of the removal procedure (I've always wanted to write that!)

Hope this helps, if not the original questioner, then someone else who is doing the job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom