W124 Key Cylinder (Ignition Barrel) replacement HELP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S9KSY

Car
1995 W124 E280 Estate
My 1995 W124 E280 Automatic key jammed one day but I managed to free it.
Now, it jams for only a second or two every now and then.
However, the missus refuses to drive the car until the problem is fixed.

Through Mercedes dealer, I have obtained a new key cylinder (ignition barrel) and a covering black metal shroud.
I checked the forum and there are many members who have done it in 2 minutes.
I tried myself but sadly, I failed.
I used my 2 DIY wires that I manage to introduce all the way in the 2 holes but it still wouldn’t budge. I gave up after many days of endeavour.

I was quoted £50 for the job by a London indie and the local Mercedes dealer.
For a potentially 2 minute job, and especially that I have already removed the facia, I am unable to swallow it.

I may have to bite the bullet at the end but before that, I wanted to check for any helpful suggestions in our forum.
I live in Purley (near Croydon, South London) and would travel if necessary.

Wont the dealer supplying the barrel fit it for free?

The parts guy might if you ask him nicely.

Your home made tool is probably what is letting you down. It is more than wire you need as you need to put some pressure on the locator pegs inside the lock and turn.

My current choices are either to pay the £50 to be done by the dealer or, HOPEFULLY, a forum member will advise me on how to have it done for me cheaper.

I have PM-ed PhilJ

u need to order the same with same key if u r bothered otherwise buy new ignition barrel, make an implement with metal coat hanger to to go at the same time in both slots on around the lock after putting the key and turning it to disable from lodging.

the slide the the metal bars and pull the lock will come out intact replace barrells and job is done.

u need to order the same with same key if u r bothered
I have done that exactly.

I will therefore keep using the same keys for doors and ignition.

make an implement with metal coat hanger to to go at the same time in both slots on around the lock after putting the key and turning it to disable from lodging.
the slide the the metal bars and pull the lock will come out intact replace barrells and job is done.
Thanks for your trouble and all that advice from the others on how to remove it.
I have given up doing it myself after trying everything.

My guess is that your home made tool is not going in far enough to release the catches on the barrel. Using your new barrel as a guide make a mark on the metal inserts that you have made (out of a metal coat hanger I guess?) to show how deeply they need to be inserted to release the catches. There should be no reason at all that the barrel should not oull stright out. The other thing you need to make sure is that the key is in the number 1 position exactly - otherwise the release keys will not retract properly - you will know that because the metal rods wont go in far enough - in that case just wiggle the key slightly to get them in all the way.
DOnt pay someone £50 thats outrageous - I would do it for nothing if you are close by.

DOnt pay someone £50 thats outrageous - I would do it for nothing if you are close by.
Smiley
Thank you for your kind offer. Sadly, you live too far from Purley, South London.

As for your advise, I can only reiterate my replies to other forum members who were similarly advising me on how to do it:
Sp!ke Post #2
Neilrr Post #3
Dinoy Post #11

I hope that everyone now appreciates that I am truly honest when I announced that everything was tried and that “I HAVE GIVEN UP”.

I spent many days collecting all possible information from many forums and websites. I checked all manuals. There will be absolutely nothing you are going to tell me on how to do it that I did not know already.

I spent hours trying everything.

It just does not work in my hands.

I may never know what I was doing wrong until I see someone doing it.

Therefore. I decided to give up. HONESTLY!

I was quoted £50 by both the local Mercedes dealer and a London Indie for that "2 minute job", but would appreciate any suggestion on how to do it cheaper.
Otherwise, the local Stealer will be £50 richer.

Last edited:
Many say it took them 2 minutes.
If you are one of the lucky ones, I should be very grateful if you would show me.
I will travel.

Can you put up a picture of the face of your ignition lock …with the holes visible…and the ends of your DIY wires?

Dec

Here is a pic of the lock and of the removal tool required. Some locks have two springs and some only one. Note the 45 chamfer on the end of the tool which pushes the spring back to allow removal. Without the 45 the tool won't go past the spring but just butts up against it. Chamfer has to face 'in' to work.

D6003-1.jpg

Thank you Druk for your trouble
I am aware of this picture which I have seen on the internet.
I used a couple of similar DIY pins with their chamfers introduced in the 2 holes available.
Needless to say, I think everyone knows that when introduced, the pin will only clear the catch if the sharp edge was introduced "AWAY" from the centre.
I succeed in putting them into the 2 holes all the way, well beyond the catch and tried everything.
Wouldn't budge!
After introducing the 2 pins, do you have to turn the key in any direction to get the whole thing out? Or, do you just have to keep pulling on the key?
I tried both.
Nothing happens
I may need to swear a little bit more when I try again. I hear it may help.

Last edited:
I have not seen this video before. Thanks.
It is for the much less complicated (IMO) older mercedes key.
If you look at his key when he brings it out, you will notice it is different from the picture of post #17.
My key is like the one in #17
There is another cricial difference. Unlike the one on the video, my black metal shroud does not have any screw threads. Therefore, you can not just simply screw it out like he did. Or, that is what I think.
Nevertheless I did try to unscrew it but would not budge!:wallbash:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom