W124 Locks in this Masquerade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benzers

Car
230TE, but mum had a new 230TE in 1984 (W123), (not the same one) mines a W124
When I bought the car, the driver and the boot locks were not prepared to work
(estate W124). I have Mr Haynes and am attempting to start with the driver door. I've did what it says in the book, but the key in the lock wont turn, even when I do insert the key, there is no sound of mechanical movement just empty space, the grommets on the side of the door show that there is a cylinder lock in there, and I have given it a little push from behind while trying to extract and turn.. but... I have found a posts on the forums in regards to this.. but nothing that can sustain my attempt.
thanks in advance for any suggestions

Ok, so it's out, with a push and a shove, but I never turned the key, so tis in my hand now, not sure what to with it, hello google!

Ok so there is no pin inside the hole, (the section above the spring, where Haynes suggests taking it to pieces), I'm attempting to get it into pieces but no joy as yet, I have three more keys that I have tried...

would anyone now if I can repair it myself or need to find a repair person.

Can you post a picture of the problem? I cant figure out which part you are having a problem with.

I'll get it up in the next couple of days. Thanks Carat!

benzers-albums-picks-lock-picture5038-dsc-7046.jpg
[/IMG]

benzers-albums-picks-lock-picture5039-dsc-7049.jpg

sorry about the delay, well they are out, just not sure what to do now.

My first thought would be - are you sure the keys you have and the lock barrels match ?

Could some previous owner have swapped the locks ( or even a complete door/tailgate ) leaving you with mismatched locks ?

It is not so unusual for the tailgate lock to fill up with dirt and sieze , also the electric closure mechanisms in the tailgates fail due to water ingress - sometimes when people swap the mechanisms they forget to keep the original lock barrel .

I think they may have been changed before, that lock has the chrome strip from the facelifted cars.

There was a period when they were having the changeover, from the old to the new facelift car, it was like a semi- facelift, i found this information courtesy of 124.co.uk - Mercedes Resources and Information. This website is for sale!.
The passenger side and the ignition match, its the driver side and the taligate. The electric closure works fine. I haven't tackled the lock on the tailgate as yet. I thought it would be best to work on one at a time.

P.s when i bought the car I was given four keys, which includes the lock for the space within the boot

I'm not sure what a chauffeur key looks like, though one of the keys has an oval shaped handle compared to the others, which are rectangular.

The oval shaped key is the chauffeur key - it won't open the glovebox , roller top cubby hole between the seats (if fitted) , the storage areas in the boot floor , or the boot itself if locked fully by a master key . The other keys (rectangular) should fit all locks .

If the electric closure on the boot is working , it is likely dirt ingress into the rear key slot to blame for that one not turning , combined with a lack of use .

The drivers door lock may just be worn out being the one most used . You can take the lock from the passenger door and put it into the drivers door for ease of access , the non working lock can then be put in the passenger side and just leave that door to open and shut with central locking .

Thanks for the advice Pontoneer. Would it be possible to get it repaired or replaced (the drives side), or would that mean having to have all the locks replaced to have just a master key?

Assuming that your keys and the rest of the locks are original to the car , you can go to your dealer and order a new lock barrel against the VIN number . This way the new lock will match the existing ones on the car and the keys you already have .

For security reasons , most dealers now require to see your V5 along with two forms of ID to order locks or keys .

An ignition barrel for a W124 was about £40 about five years ago ( I'd expect the door barrel to be a similar price ) , I recently got a quote for a complete door handle for a W126 ( they don't have separate barrels like the W124 , but it does include a key ) at £120 (gasp) .

I did enquire at mercedes, but only for a replacement set, which included all locks and ignition barrel, £180 can't remember if it was with VAT or not.

It sounds like wear inside the lock barrel, punch out the roll pin at the spring and you should be able to dissemble the lock so as to clean it up and grease the internals.

The barrel has 10 levers and 10 springs inside it , these components need to be reinstalled in the same order that the are removed.
Observe how that spring is situated as it needs to be put back on the way it came off.
Put up a picture as you go and I can tell you what to do next.

If the cause of the fault is wear, it is possible to fix that without replacing the lock.

Dec

thanks Dec. the roll pin inside that little hole? if so its no longer there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom