W124 M111 Head Gasket Set

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shanksy

Car
W124 e220 coupe + W208 CLK430
Hi all,

Will be replacing the head gasket in the coming weeks on my '94 W124 e220 Coupe.
It has the M111 engine and I just need clarifying on a couple of things....

Does anyone know the exact part number for the Head Gasket Set I would need.
I seem to be finding various different part numbers for the set that all claim to be the correct set for a M111. Are there different versions of the M111 engine ?

The second issue is advice on where to get cheap quality sets from. At the moment I have only found sets on ebay for around £85, I plan to call the dealer in the morning.

Have spent the last 3 days cleaning out the Rad / Hoses and expansion tank of sludge. The Rad was completely blocked and the coolant system was probably 80% sludge.....def time to bite the bullet and sort it!

Cheers

Just give your vin to the dealer and they will tell you which one you need.

w202's also come with an M111 engines too so this is where perhaps you may be seeing a difference?

another reason could be superseded part numbers/better designs of the gaskets could hike the various part numbers

Last edited:
The dealer gasket sets are not expensive. At least you wil be pretty sure its the right one

Cool if dealer sets aren't extortionate should be the easiest solution all round.

Thanks guys

yes, they arent expensive from the dealer i heard.

im looking to change my rocker cover gasket soon and my indy has told me that this too isnt much either.

Only buy a MB gasket they are not a lot of money and will be worth it, if you need any advice on how to carry out the head gasket change then feel free to ask and dont get the head skimmed too much !

Thanks everyone, paid £143 for the complete gasket set include rocker cover gasket and seals, plus a thermostat. should be attempting over the weekend..... (takes a deep breath)

Did you get new head bolts?

I think there was an issue with early M111 head bolts causing some of the CHG issues, so be sure to check them carefully (there's a max permitted length) and if in any doubt - replace :)

Cheers for the tip Will. I didnt specifically order any so will have to check them.
Any idea what the max length is ?

Replace the head bolts regardless cause they stretch and snap off

Sorry to drag up an old post but wondering how you got on with this job? Success? Easy to do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom