W124 Manual box level check/filler hole - where?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

isobars

Car
300SD'79, E300TD '95, 300TDT '82, 280CE '84, 250L '84, 300SEL LPG '91, 300D '80, 300CE '91, 300E '89
Hi All,

I just can't seem to find the thing - -though I am on my back looking upwards.

There's a horrible crunch getting into reverse, and it's now getting harder. It used to go in after another declutch, occasionally with a little complaint, but now it grates strongly. 717.430 box, five speed.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Paul

About 3" up on the OS of the box above the drain plug. It only takes 1ltr of ATF from empty iirc. Your fault is more likely to be crap or corrosion on the input shaft of the gearbox where the driven plate of the clutch runs causing it to stick to the flywheel.

Last edited:
Hi,

Many thanks, I'll change it!

That cause seems to fit the bill.

Would you know how much of a bill that might be?

Is it a huge job?

Cheers,

Paul

It's a gearbox out job to sort and the clutch should maybe changed when its out although not if it looks good. Couple of hundred quid+ at an indy I would have thought excepting the price of a clutch if needed. Be prepared for extras such as propshaft couplings and centre bearing as the front shaft needs to come out to release the gearbox.

Many thanks, top info - as usual!

Cheers,

Paul

Hi,

Just one more, if I may.

Much worse when warm, does that further fit the profile?

Cheers,

Paul

A quick update, I pushed - stood-up - on the clutch pedal tonight after the continual movement of the cogs would not permit engagement of reverse, and lo and behold, the thing stopped grinding and it went in.

Anything I should adjust before going to an indy?

Many Thanks.

Cheers,

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom