W124 MB oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Marjanov

Car
Mercedes W124
Please help.
I was reading "oil bible" and "oil types" on this forum but still not sure what type of oil to buy.
Mercedes W124 230E (124.023)
Engine M102.982
I would like to buy Genuine Mercedes Benz 10w40 Low Ash.
Could you please let me know if this oil for vehicle and please confirm how many litres l need including oil filter.

Thank You

In my 190Es , which had the M102 , and numerous earlier cars , I always used Duckhams 20/50 ; when that became unavailable I switched to Castrol GTX .

I ran all my cars to high mileages without engine trouble . These engines don’t demand fancy oil .

I always buy genuine oil filters from the dealer , but the oil comes from Tesco .

Your car handbook will tell you the correct quantity of oil , with filter change . There is also a Haynes manual for the W124 which is worth having .

You can enter your reg into the link below for further info .

If you use your reg number on the ECP website it will tell you how many litres you need. You can also cross check this on a site like opie oils.

Shell Helix 10w/40 semi synthetic is a good oil and not expensive at ECP. Mann oil filters are OEM.

Reactions: 219
For older cars handbooks are about the worst places to look for out of date oil specs , oil technology or rather the ingredients has moved on .

Absolutely no reason why you couldn't select and benefit from a 5W40 fully synthetic .

If you use your reg number on the ECP website it will tell you how many litres you need. You can also cross check this on a site like opie oils.

Shell Helix 10w/40 semi synthetic is a good oil and not expensive at ECP. Mann oil filters are OEM.
I have used that in the past and it’s fine , but when they have offers on , which is often , then Tesco sell the higher end oils just as cheap .

Get 15w40 diesel rated oil like Rotella, High on detergents , high on zinc.

228.31 still fails to top out on anti wear despite this and giving you an undesirable 15W .

Marjanov if it helps you choose the oil to use . My engine is more or les the same as yours but with 2 more extra cylinders .
The oil i was recomended to ues after talking to Castrol was Magnatec 10 w 40 semi synthetic that was bock in 2010 and i use this for every oil change . Most members will just say to you to go fully synthetic .But if it was not recomended at the time by Castrol for my M103 engine but semi synthetic was .

Absolutely no reason why you couldn't select and benefit from a 5W40 fully synthetic .

This what I used in my M102 engine and the oil pressure gauge always showed more than adequate pressure when hot, so much so that it would have been fine even on a 5W30.

The owners manual will show that the the engine is tolerant of a wide range of viscosities but I see no point in using oil that is thicker than necessary and you should have no fear of using a synthetic oil as even back then MB supplied oil would have been a semi synthetic.

You will be hard put to better the oil just posted up by W1ghty.

This what I used in my M102 engine and the oil pressure gauge always showed more than adequate pressure when hot, so much so that it would have been fine even on a 5W30.

The owners manual will show that the the engine is tolerant of a wide range of viscosities but I see no point in using oil that is thicker than necessary and you should have no fear of using a synthetic oil as even back then MB supplied oil would have been a semi synthetic.

You will be hard put to better the oil just posted up by W1ghty.

Absolutely , I see no issue with 5W30 either as some 5W30 can be of even higher quality because they can have higher oil performance peramiters despite being thinner .

You can always improve on 229.5 ;)

Gazwould It is good if you use it ,,but i i wont . I have an engine thats 31 years old ,and it is not new like yours .With old gaskets never been operated on so no new seals. And above all no oil leaks . Read up,, and you will see what others have found after uesing fully synthetic oil in an old engine oil leaks from the engine, where they never had an oil leak before with the old conventional oil .

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You wont let it rest will you ha ha ? You can post all the proof you like but i am stuck with my belief .I will never migrate to synthetic oil ,,unless there was no oil in my fying pan ha ha . And my seals and gaskets are just old ,,and i know that synthetic oil will not damage them in any way..

Any way maybe the new owner will get in to uesing fully synthetic .Its come to that time in my life to give the car up . I am to old now .
I hope to sell it to someone with a garage to keep her in. Nothing certain as yet but its in the pipe line .

You're not old , I know someone who decided to give up driving , drove their Focus 5 years ago to a scrapyard , clean and no issues .

A year ago they got a Fiesta .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom