W124 MB oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It will be 10 w 40 semi synthetic.
Thank you for your help

Every 10w40 semi synthetic i have used has been MB spec 229.1 or 229.3 (shell helix)

Last edited:
Reactions: 219
I'm running a 41 year old motorcycle on "full synthetic" with zero problems possibly because it isn't really full synthetic.

If synthetic oil ever did cause problems it was way back when it really was full synthetic. These days read the "full synthetic" label as some sort of loose indication of quality rather than the type of base oil. There is no possible way that genuine MB oil is really fully synthetic because it doesn't cost anywhere near enough. Same goes for any other so called synthetic oil that isn't in the ball park of £50 for 5 Litres.

None of this game with words matters, judge an oil on the specifications it meets.

Nail on the head 190 , forget ACEA , API etc everything is incorporated into a manufacturer spec and it's this manufacturer spec that carries the most information on oil performance peramiters .

If 10W40 229.1 / 229.3 the minimum you should upgrade to is 229.5 .

However knowing what I know I would take this even further drop a grade as discussed earlier but keep the thicker end around 12 centiStokes and a different manufacturer spec !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom