W124 Michelin tyres - which model and XL?

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension' started by SG1, Mar 14, 2019.

1. SG1

SG1 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Anything Mercedes
    Evening all,

I need four new tyres on my car as the rears are just legal and all four have started cracking due to age. The car is a W124 Coupe E36 AMG.

I'm going to go for Michelin's, either Primacy 3's or Pilot Sport 4's. Leaning towards the Pilot sport 4's but has anyone got any recommendations for either etc? Also, on the Pilot Sport 4's there is the option of the XL version for the same price. Don't have a clue what would be more suitable for the car so just wondering if anyone knows more than me!

Thanks in advance for any help :)

2. whitenemesis

whitenemesis MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2016
    XL = extra load = stiffer sidewalls
    Just go with the recommended spec.. re the speed and load rating

3. MrRight

MrRight Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S205 C63s Estate + BMW E46 M3 convertible+smart 44 brabus sport
    wow, stunning car! there are barely two dozen of these in the UK from my understanding.

if you don't have any manufacturer tyre recommendations given the age of the car , then it would be best to ensure any tyre you get has an adequate load rating . I would say each tyre should be able to support at least 600kg at the very minimum. the w124 had a curb weight of around 1550kg but once you account for fuel, passengers ,.luggage and weight distribution of the car , that's possible 500kg per wheel and then it is possibly best to add some buffer on top. However, I'm only guessing here and am not a tyre expert , but that would be my starting point.

SG1 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    SG1

Car:
    Anything Mercedes
    Will see if I can find the recommended spec but sometimes more difficult with older cars although I do have all the manuals/paperwork.

5. OP
    OP
    SG1

Car:
    Anything Mercedes
    Thanks for the help. The standard tyre is 615kg and the XL is 670kg so both up to the job.

Does anyone know whether the XL results in a stiffer ride - it's a;ready pretty firm for a W124.

And thanks re the car..love it although it's not running properly at the moment. There were 24 examples for the UK (the dozen were the saloons).

MrRight likes this.
  6. GP801

GP801 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2003 W209 CLK, 2005 R171 SLK in UK, 1995 S124 E280 in Italy
    I run our 280 S124 on XL rated tyres on 17inch AMG monoblock 2 wheels. The ride is not harsh but then i have standard suspension. Its currently on Continental All Season Contacts which i am impressed with but they are probably not ideal for an E36.

SG1 likes this.
  7. rf065

rf065 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
    [/QUOTE]

I bought Primacy 3's on account of the wet A rating, and frankly my previous Falken ZE912's were far superior. Best avoided.

SG1 likes this.
  8. coupe addict

coupe addict Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    e320 coupe 1994
    I bought Primacy 3's on account of the wet A rating, and frankly my previous Falken ZE912's were far superior. Best avoided.[/QUOTE]
    For my personal taste, the XL would be a bit harsh, but it does depend on personal driving style - although you would have to push very hard in order to necessitate the XL, I think. I love my Contis on a 320 C124, but I drive like an old man - for good reason.

SG1 and MrRight like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    SG1

Car:
    Anything Mercedes
    Yes ride is very supple with the standard suspension but on my car it's relatively firm already - especially for a W124!!

10. OP
    OP
    SG1

Car:
    Anything Mercedes
    I bought Primacy 3's on account of the wet A rating, and frankly my previous Falken ZE912's were far superior. Best avoided.[/QUOTE]
    Thanks - decided to go for the pilot sports but just deciding between standard or XL

11. OP
    OP
    SG1

Car:
    Anything Mercedes
    For my personal taste, the XL would be a bit harsh, but it does depend on personal driving style - although you would have to push very hard in order to necessitate the XL, I think. I love my Contis on a 320 C124, but I drive like an old man - for good reason.[/QUOTE]

That sounds very wise indeed. I don't think the XL will be necessary especially considering how I drive the car.

By the way..black circles are offering 10% discount on each Michelin tyre this month!

12. AnnaB

AnnaB New Member

Car:
    1984 280 SL
    Hello im a bit perplexed about this web-site stuff. But you seam to know about stuff.
    -
    I need a fuel sensor for the fuel guage on my 1984, 280 SL, any thoughts?
    -
    Anna x

13. rf065

Car:
    This thread is about Michelin tyres? My thoughts are you're in the wrong place!

14. AnnaB

AnnaB New Member

Car:
    1984 280 SL
    Yep, cant work out how to set up threds, incomprehensible UI for me

15. rf065

Car:
    Go to Forum home page, and set up thread in Engines might be best.

16. AnnaB

AnnaB New Member

Car:
    1984 280 SL
    Ok ill give it a go, thanks

17. Bellow

Bellow Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Click here >> Engine and at the top right there is a POST NEW THREAD button. Click it, and a box will appear for you to start a new thread in the Engine section. Be sure to add a title eg '280 SL fuel pump advice needed'.

18. AnnaB

AnnaB New Member

Car:
    1984 280 SL
    Ta, its the fuel tank sensor level thing so I presume fuel? I'll have a go