W124 Michelin tyres - which model and XL?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SG1

Car
Anything Mercedes
Evening all,

I need four new tyres on my car as the rears are just legal and all four have started cracking due to age. The car is a W124 Coupe E36 AMG.

I'm going to go for Michelin's, either Primacy 3's or Pilot Sport 4's. Leaning towards the Pilot sport 4's but has anyone got any recommendations for either etc? Also, on the Pilot Sport 4's there is the option of the XL version for the same price. Don't have a clue what would be more suitable for the car so just wondering if anyone knows more than me!

Thanks in advance for any help :)

XL = extra load = stiffer sidewalls
Just go with the recommended spec.. re the speed and load rating

wow, stunning car! there are barely two dozen of these in the UK from my understanding.

if you don't have any manufacturer tyre recommendations given the age of the car , then it would be best to ensure any tyre you get has an adequate load rating . I would say each tyre should be able to support at least 600kg at the very minimum. the w124 had a curb weight of around 1550kg but once you account for fuel, passengers ,.luggage and weight distribution of the car , that's possible 500kg per wheel and then it is possibly best to add some buffer on top. However, I'm only guessing here and am not a tyre expert , but that would be my starting point.

Reactions: SG1
XL = extra load = stiffer sidewalls
Just go with the recommended spec.. re the speed and load rating

Will see if I can find the recommended spec but sometimes more difficult with older cars although I do have all the manuals/paperwork.

wow, stunning car! there are barely two dozen of these in the UK from my understanding.

if you don't have any manufacturer tyre recommendations given the age of the car , then it would be best to ensure any tyre you get has an adequate load rating . I would say each tyre should be able to support at least 600kg at the very minimum. the w124 had a curb weight of around 1550kg but once you account for fuel, passengers ,.luggage and weight distribution of the car , that's possible 500kg per wheel and then it is possibly best to add some buffer on top. However, I'm only guessing here and am not a tyre expert , but that would be my starting point.

Thanks for the help. The standard tyre is 615kg and the XL is 670kg so both up to the job.

Does anyone know whether the XL results in a stiffer ride - it's a;ready pretty firm for a W124.

And thanks re the car..love it although it's not running properly at the moment. There were 24 examples for the UK (the dozen were the saloons).

I run our 280 S124 on XL rated tyres on 17inch AMG monoblock 2 wheels. The ride is not harsh but then i have standard suspension. Its currently on Continental All Season Contacts which i am impressed with but they are probably not ideal for an E36.

I'm going to go for Michelin's, either Primacy 3's :)
[/QUOTE]

I bought Primacy 3's on account of the wet A rating, and frankly my previous Falken ZE912's were far superior. Best avoided.

I bought Primacy 3's on account of the wet A rating, and frankly my previous Falken ZE912's were far superior. Best avoided.[/QUOTE]
For my personal taste, the XL would be a bit harsh, but it does depend on personal driving style - although you would have to push very hard in order to necessitate the XL, I think. I love my Contis on a 320 C124, but I drive like an old man - for good reason.

I run our 280 S124 on XL rated tyres on 17inch AMG monoblock 2 wheels. The ride is not harsh but then i have standard suspension. Its currently on Continental All Season Contacts which i am impressed with but they are probably not ideal for an E36.
Yes ride is very supple with the standard suspension but on my car it's relatively firm already - especially for a W124!!

I bought Primacy 3's on account of the wet A rating, and frankly my previous Falken ZE912's were far superior. Best avoided.[/QUOTE]
Thanks - decided to go for the pilot sports but just deciding between standard or XL

I bought Primacy 3's on account of the wet A rating, and frankly my previous Falken ZE912's were far superior. Best avoided.
For my personal taste, the XL would be a bit harsh, but it does depend on personal driving style - although you would have to push very hard in order to necessitate the XL, I think. I love my Contis on a 320 C124, but I drive like an old man - for good reason.[/QUOTE]

That sounds very wise indeed. I don't think the XL will be necessary especially considering how I drive the car.

By the way..black circles are offering 10% discount on each Michelin tyre this month!

Hello im a bit perplexed about this web-site stuff. But you seam to know about stuff.
-
I need a fuel sensor for the fuel guage on my 1984, 280 SL, any thoughts?
-
Anna x

Hello im a bit perplexed about this web-site stuff. But you seam to know about stuff.
-
I need a fuel sensor for the fuel guage on my 1984, 280 SL, any thoughts?
-
Anna x

This thread is about Michelin tyres? My thoughts are you're in the wrong place!

Yep, cant work out how to set up threds, incomprehensible UI for me

Go to Forum home page, and set up thread in Engines might be best.

Yep, cant work out how to set up threds, incomprehensible UI for me

Click here >> Engine and at the top right there is a POST NEW THREAD button. Click it, and a box will appear for you to start a new thread in the Engine section. Be sure to add a title eg '280 SL fuel pump advice needed'.

Click here >> Engine and at the top right there is a POST NEW THREAD button. Click it, and a box will appear for you to start a new thread in the Engine section. Be sure to add a title eg '280 SL fuel pump advice needed'.
Ta, its the fuel tank sensor level thing so I presume fuel? I'll have a go

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom