W124 Mono Wiper

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alarprba

Car
e320
Both my 1994 W124 and my 1990 W124 donor car have exactly the same problem - a slow and sticking windscreen wiper! I have completely dismantled both units and cleaned and lubricated all gearing (back & front) - a slight improvement, but not much.
The motor is still driving the unit, albeit very unsatisfactorily. My thinking is that the motor would either work perfectly or not at all? Is it possible to have a "lazy" motor? Is it possible for an electric motor to continue constantly working on reduced power? In other words, would a new electric motor solve my problem, or would that be a wasted exercise?
Incidentally, to cover all possible angles, I have even replaced the wiper fuse, just in case the old one was corroded and starving the motor of current.

How does it preform on the different speeds, slow and fast?
Does the wiper blade park correctly every time it is switched off at the stalk switch?

Dec

How does it preform on the different speeds, slow and fast?
Does the wiper blade park correctly every time it is switched off at the stalk switch?

Dec

Everything is working OK except that the blade struggles to get across the windscreen. But once I get it going (with a stream of water on it) the 2 speeds and intermittent work and it parks in the correct place

If both motors are preforming badly then perhaps the fault is with dirty contacts within the stalk switch.

Another possibility would be striped gears inside the motor gearbox. Examples of good and bad motor gears below.

Dec

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Don't know if you ever got this one sorted. I persevered for ages with two different W124's with exactly the same problem. Like you, I thought that if it was the motor it would just stop completely, so I lubricated everything, etc. Eventually I put in a new motor (£50 +VAT) and am absolutely amazed at the incredible speed of my wiper on all settings. I just wish I hadn't put up with the problem for so long! So it seems the answer is "Yes, an exhausted motor can keep going very slowly for a long time!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom