W124 Only forum?

W124 Only Site ?

• Yes

Votes: 42 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 56 57.1%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There is absolutely no reason not to set one up if you want to - there are already lots of sites dedicated to single ranges of cars

170220.com
mbz.ponton.org
Heckflosse homepage ( Heckflosse.nl )
Strich acht user group (strich8basis.de)
stroke8.org
German S Class Club ( s-klasse-club.de )
w116.org
w126-archiv
Mercedes-190.co.uk
The International M100 group ( m-100.cc )

Amongst a great many others

There is a dedicated site for the 124 series E500 ( 500E.co.uk )

And others dedicated to the likes of Panzer Tanks and German military aircraft which either used DB engines , or in some cases were entirely built by Daimler-Benz .

Some of these sites are more successful than others , not just because of the numbers of cars around , but in some cases can be driven by one or more dedicated and enthusiastic individuals .

The issue with a single model forum is that it is restictive. Mercedes made more than one car at the time than the 124 and engines, tranmissions were shared. Indeed the 129 owes a lot of its design to the 124 and the engines IIRC were used in the 140's and 201's as well.

An engine fault in a 124 may well crop up and be fixed on another non 124 car, and on a single model forum that would be missed.

While I'm inclined to agree , many one-model forums do thrive .

A good example is the Mercedes-190.co.uk forum , dedicated to a model built 20+ years ago , yet still well followed . Many members , such as myself , no longer have 190's yet still visit for a banter or to help others still running the cars . There is also a lot of discussion on 'other models' such as 124's which have a lot in common with the 190 .

Many members from that forum are members here too , yet a lot of the best info on 190's is still found over there .

Voted no. Most W124 owners are crashing bores as they go on and on about how brilliant the cars are, how they represent German and Mercedes engineering at their finest, how comfortable and practical the cars are, how no other model comes close, how brilliant they look with certain wheel combinations, how easy they are to maintain, how you can run them as a daily driver, how they will keep their value, how economical they are, how brilliant the suspension, how only the discerning really choose to buy them, how great the multivalve diesel is which you can run on cooking oil, and how they are Bruno Sacco's finest design, how valuable a pre-facelift convertible that sits in the garage is, etc etc etc

Thank heavens we don't have any of that on here!

You sit on the fence there dude. I love people who make sweeping statements about people. Not a pigeon fancier perchance?

You sit on the fence there dude. I love people who make sweeping statements about people. Not a pigeon fancier perchance?

Dont worry dude, he was joking. :thumb:

I used to run a 124 (as did many on here).
A 124-only forum would tend to lose the help and experience of us ex-124-ers.

There used to be a site dedicated to coupés and cabriolets called W124cc.com, or similar, but it was very slow. The official owners' club has its forum set out with model specific links amongst others for ease of reference, but as others have said, there is a greater pool of knowledge from a larger collective.

Is this forum started by you by any chance? Not a criticism ---just a question?:dk:

Yes, I started to put it together last November. I originally was just going to do a blog of related W124 info, but the format was not really suited to that task. So I decided to create a forum that would compliment the existing MB forums, but that was specifically for 124's

W124's are brilliant cars. they really do represent German and Mercedes engineering at their finest. They are comfortable and practical the cars and no other model comes close.
Just how brilliant do they look with certain wheel combinations? They are so easy to maintain. You can run them as a daily driver, they will keep their value, they are economical with brilliant suspension. Lets face it, only the discerning really choose to buy them.
The multivalve diesel is just fantastic, you can run on cooking oil.
The W124 was Bruno Sacco's finest design.
You only have to ask The Boss to tell you how valuable a pre-facelift convertible that sits in the garage is, etc etc etc

amgte81.jpg

On a serious note, im not a massive fan of "one model" only forum as they can get a bit too concentrated... I am a member of the 190 forum, the pagoda forum etc but I dont frequent them daily as they do just become a bit of a bore...
Besides W124's share so much with other models that many W124 discussions are relevant to other series of that era.

Stay MBClub!

Funnily enough the landroveruk site has different sections for different models.personally I prefer the layout of this site, IMHO its good to have a site that caters for all mercs, never found a solution on another site that I didn't find here first(seems like a good oppertunity to thank all who've helped me here in the past,,Cheers!)

Charles is one of the good guys...and when he wrote that he was a 124 owner. He has a very nice collection of cars...so, perchance, not a pigeon fancier.

I think the satirical wit was lost on Snilrak.

Moved to MBClub General Polls.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom