W124 option - what is this?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SHAKTER

Car
W124 320TE, W124 300CE, W124 E36 AMG, W210 E240 V6, G Wagon
I should know this. But I don't. Can someone please enlighten me as to what this option (tyre pic) is on the w124?! it's on the e36 my buddy just bought.

Many thanks in advance, as always!

Attachments

• image-1987412312.jpg
    image-1987412312.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 212
Not 100% sure but I think it is for the traction control (asr), to tell the system when you have snow chains on the car.

Thanks. I thought it was sthg to do with the traction control.

Definitely the snow chain thing. Incredibly rare option on uk cars. Never seen one before.

Not 100% sure but I think it is for the traction control (asr), to tell the system when you have snow chains on the car.
Correct when energised operates below 25 mph will keep its setting up to 37mph-if speed falls below 25mph will kick in again- if the car reaches 37mph+ its de-energised till selected again manually. active state indicated by switch light. Its function is to permit a greater degree of wheel slip before the ASR kicks in

Last edited:
Interestingly, another member here asked some time ago about the function of the other switch in your picture - the light - but AFAIk no conclusion has been reached at the time... can you enlighten us all please (sorry for the pun)?

Interestingly, another member here asked some time ago about the function of the other switch in your picture - the light - but AFAIk no conclusion has been reached at the time... can you enlighten us all please (sorry for the pun)?

Rear internal light switch.

Definitely the snow chain thing. Incredibly rare option on uk cars. Never seen one before.

Seen a few but yes it`s rare,standard on 500e

Thanks all! Agree, it's certainly rare. I've never seen it before. Thanks again.

I have one of those on my 300-24. Very useful last winter. Never got stuck :D

That was over 2k option when ordering

Both of mine have it, I think Grober hit the nail on the head re what its function is. In the hand book it tells you to test the system occasionally, it's a bit brutal but they do get tested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom