W124 original suspension please help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

16v guy

Hi guys after a long time been out of the Mercedes scene, but now I'm back with it, picked up my Mercedes 300e w124 1991 model is I need some help please guys.

The previous owner has unfortunately lowered the car and it drives horrible I want to put it back to its original stance. The car has a original factory fitted AMG kit and 16" alloys it.

I want to replace the shock absorbers and coil springs only issue is I don't want to purchase the wrong ones and lift the car too high it needs to have the original AMG look where the gap between the wheel and arch is just right.

So what suspension set up shall I buy and where from?

Also can anyone get me EPC Card my vin number is WDB1240302B225492

Can you find a photo of what is just right, will help others point you in the right direction...

Bilstien do kit/s, H&R do some nice springs as well as MB and AMG of course...

I had a real job doing this on my w124, is start at Mercedes, their springs aren’t actually very expensive, they should have the correct ones on their system, but make sure they aren’t listing a standard 300 spring.

I had a real job doing this on my w124, is start at Mercedes, their springs aren’t actually very expensive, they should have the correct ones on their system, but make sure they aren’t listing a standard 300 spring.
I'll call them this morning so there must be two kind of spring right? Standard and sport?

Can you find a photo of what is just right, will help others point you in the right direction...

Bilstien do kit/s, H&R do some nice springs as well as MB and AMG of course...
Screenshot_2018-11-05-07-21-32.png this kind of gap between arch and wheel

Have you got the wheels on the car you want to have?

You don't need to drop much for that look, the bigger wheels are decieving.

Suspect you will end up with two main choices of spring for your car once you have been through the MB spring chart, just select the shorter of the two and then ask for red option if you stick with MB springs. Should allow you to stick with Sportline shocks still in the correct stroke range or you can switch to Bilstien B8 kit for Sportline spec or B6 for something closer to AMG spec - FACT CHECK THOSE KIT NOS PLEASE DASH... it may be the other way around grrr old age is setting in.

Other option is H&R springs on Sportline shocks, RBYCC's set up from memory, check his posts on his red coupe.....

You have a fair bit of adjustment with the three pad options too so no need to sweat it if it doesn't look right on the first try.

Too low in the rear and you will run out of toe in adjustment and your -ve camber may go over what I think is the max of 2 1/2 degrees. Any more than that and you may want to get some rear camber arms, plug with Al and re-drill the originals 3 mm max difference length is best. Should sit at 1 30' max ready to drive, any more looks silly, bad tyre wear and won't give you the best handling.

Up front don't be tempted to go for a heavey camber angle, keep it under 1 20' especially on the right side to help with negating any left pull the car may have.

The key to a nice 124 is lots of suspension travel controlled by good quality shocks, don't be tempted to slam it down low, they don't like it from a ride quality or handling point of view. Do your suspension bushes at the same time and you will have a very nice car even by today's standards.

Last edited:
Nice cars...

I would fit Eibach Pro kit springs with Bilstein B4 OE dampers , never uncomfortable .

Here is a Sportline set up on red springs in the rear, lower than standard Sportline ride height by about 1/2" all around, can do this retaining the original Sportline shocks, but no lower IMO.
This car has 15" standard wheels and tyres, up the size of the wheel package and you will fill those arches pretty quickly.P1000837 - Copy.JPG

I'll call them this morning so there must be two kind of spring right? Standard and sport?

There are more than that, springs are different for petrol, diesel, air con, etc etc, I had all manner of trouble getting the right length ones for my diesel estate until I was told that is was this specific, you can also alter the ride height with the rubber donuts that go between the spring and the chassis, these are available ina number of thicknesses independent of spring type.

Good luck!

^On that there is only one spring to choose from, the rest is adjust by pad difference.
The spring for later AMG cars is a Sportline spring, the shocks are AMG but NLA and will cost a diamond mine to find and pursuade somebody to part with but they will be worn, so either use a Sportline shock [you are not good enough driver to want for anything else - none of us are on here] or try aftermarket - as suggested above are some good brands.

The ride height measuring tools are hard to find in the UK, yes they should have them but no they don't, SO, your limiting factor will then be "can I get the wheel alignment values"?, if you can't you have gone too low and it doesn't take much to do that. Mind you you don't need much cause you are looking at bigger wheels.

Nice cars...

I would fit Eibach Pro kit springs with Bilstein B4 OE dampers , never uncomfortable .
i do have this set up on my 2004 vw passat but i don't want my car to be too low and unpractical i'm looking the look above but bearing in mind a quality soft ride and not worrying about speed bumps if that makes sense

Snap , 2003 Passat wagon .

Is yours Sport or Highline ?
Highline gaz,

I'm wanting to put 17inch original AMG monoblocks on or maybe some Ronal carat duchalet wheels, the most important thing .Trying to achieve a quality soft ride but not too big of a gap between the arch but definitely not going low it mite look good but a crap ride and very impractical.

So do reckon I should just go for some original springs and bilstein shocks? What's the difference of B4 B6 B8 ???

I did call Mercedes dealer today was on hold for ages so I hung up will try them tomorrow

What's your B4 part number for the Pissrat rear shocks , loon or wagon ?

I'm all for the Eibach Pro as they have minimal lowering compared to most .

Often surpassing OE comfort but with more control , quite cheap from the right place , would be rude not to , lol .

B4 , oe but slightly uprated .

B6 , std length but uprated.

B8 , shorter but uprated , essential for the even lower Eibach Sportline .

However an Eibach vid shows both types of springs good for OE good condition shocks .

Wagon, part numbers I'll have to check my invoice.

so looks like I'll go for B4 shockers so that's understood why eibach can I just get original drop?

And wheres best place to purchase?

Auto Doc good for Eibach and Balance Motorsport ( Julian ) the Billy's .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom