W124 outside temp gauge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 11979

Does any know if there is there more to fitting an OTG to a car without it, than fitting the thermocouple on the front bumper and the LCD display to the instrument cluster?

Is the wiring loom different, or does the thermocouple actually wire directly into the back of the dash? Thanks a lot

This diagram shows the wiring both for the older 4 wire connections and the later 5 wire which included a reference from the Hall effect device on the speed rear to freeze the display at low/zero speeds.

Attachments

• oatWiring.jpg
    oatWiring.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 82
The thermocouple and its lead are designed to connect to a short loom section which runs from inside the fuse box to the dash. I'm not sure if this short loom section is a standard part of the main loom or a short separate section fitted with the display. Fitting the display unit to the instrument cluster is fairly straightforward once its removed from the dash.

If it's anything like a W201 - feeding the plug on the thermocoupler cable through the bulkhead to the rear of the instrument cluster is a sod of a job. I stripped a W201 for spares and had to remove the complete dashboard to remove the cable. I have 2 x W201s with OTG, both displays have bled and one has a faulty temperature readout. The prospect of changing them does not appeal!

If it's anything like a W201 - feeding the plug on the thermocoupler cable through the bulkhead to the rear of the instrument cluster is a sod of a job. I stripped a W201 for spares and had to remove the complete dashboard to remove the cable. I have 2 x W201s with OTG, both displays have bled and one has a faulty temperature readout. The prospect of changing them does not appeal!

I've changed numberous W124 OTG displays and it's quite easy on a W124, pull out the binnacle, pull out the plug and swap, maybe a W201 is more of a devil.

I've changed numberous W124 OTG displays and it's quite easy on a W124, pull out the binnacle, pull out the plug and swap, maybe a W201 is more of a devil.

It's exactly the same. I changed the one in my 2.3-16 easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom