W124 Problems!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SG1

Car
Anything Mercedes
Evening everyone,

I'm after some advice about my W124. I went on a long run up to Birmingham area (120 miles or so) a couple of days ago. For two hours all was fine and the car was normal, for the last half an hour as I came off the motorway the car seemed to be missing and there was not as much power as there should be. I carried on and took it easy.

An hour later I left and the car was still missing, no problem I thought I'll take it easy it must be something basic. Again, maybe 1 hours 30 mins in the car started to loose a lot more power and felt very rough/started shaking. I pulled into the next services to investigate.

I've looked into it and jacked the car up and had a good look at everything but don't have a clue what it could be. The symptoms are;

Lacking a LOT of power.
Missing a lot.
Running very rough.
The engine is shaking much more than it should.

The car is a 3.6 straight six.

If anyone has any ideas as to what may be causing this please do let me know. I will be taking it to my mechanic as soon as I can get it booked in but I'm just hoping it's nothing major!

Thank you

Ignition fault or wiring loom fun.

Yep I'm thinking wiring loom, I have all the paperwork from day one and I couldn't see any invoice for the wiring loom being replaced!?

Yep I'm thinking wiring loom, I have all the paperwork from day one and I couldn't see any invoice for the wiring loom being replaced!?

Have a look at the wiring to the temp senders at the front of the engine, that will give you an idea how bad it is.

If it is the loom, DO NOT drive the car anymore until it's been repaired, as you risk blowing the coils and/or ecu.

Thanks for the info.

I'll check the state of the loom and update tomorrow.

It could also be vacum but more chances is that the loom has gone

Definitely an ignition issue by the sounds. Being a later model, im guesing wiring loom too as coil packs etc dont fail often.

Just to update -

The loom was replaced in the past and it all seemed to be fine. After diagnostic it appeared to be a coil pack which had packed up, this was due to the original loom from the factory damaging the ECU. Especially as the car has already gone through 2 or 3 coil packs in the past.

I got the ECU repaired, replaced all three coils and connectors and also a few other bits that were past their best. The car now seems to be back to it's usual self for now.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Who would want to own a w124? - with tongue firmly in cheek :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom