W124 Q: Is this weight difference true?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BAD300

Car
87' 300E Turbo
Are the 300CE Coupes really some 240kg's heavier than the 300E sedan's? That's a helava weight difference when factoring in power-to-weight ratio with a project build
redface.gif
Very interesting..........

Many websites have differing weights. For example. One site will state the 300E kerb weight is 1390kgs. Another 1450kgs. Yet another 1490kgs. Very frustrating. The coupe however can't be 1630kgs now surely
eek.gif
That's heavier than the LWB 300E in the 1500's!

I thought my 320 coupe weighed in at about 1500kgs - perhaps I should put it on the weighbridge at my local tip and check.

Unless the document quotes a particular standard, kerb weight can mean different things. Usually it's the weight of of just the vehicle with fluids.

I'd expect a coupe to be a bit lighter than a saloon. Fewer doors and shorter D-pillar due to a sloping roof. The coupe is also likely to have a higher torsion stiffness, important if you're looking to make a track car.

This is what I would have thought. The coupe being lighter.

Id have thought the coupe was heavier, but may be not.

It's a pillarless coupe, so there may be extra strengthening in the rest of the shell to compensate for the loss of torsional stiffness resulting from the lack of a B-pillar. The extra strengthening might account for the additional weight.

Certainly interesting discussion. I've since had a member from another forum confirm the kerb weights for both under 1400kgs, from a PDF manual has. The Coupe is stated as just 20kgs heavier.

Sorry for the hassle guys it just struck me as ....whaaaaat? when nI read the difference stated on a document I read today.

Consider the Volvo 97' 850 R 20v 5cyl turbo putting out 180kw &, apparently, weighing around 1500kgs kerb weight. Beautiful machine but.....not alot of geegee's for the money imo. Considering I'm wanting around 300kw from the M103 in my 300E. It's certainly costing me. Especially with the upcoming custom manifolds & EFI fitted. Getting the thing to spool quickly using a large turbo (needed to get that type of grunt) takes quite a bit of nowse I tell you.

This is what brought this thread about. Power-to-weight ratio & how important it really is when considering options for a street build. I love the cuope & was dumbfounded when I read the weight in this particular article......

Id have thought the coupe was heavier, but may be not.

Simal you are correct...

When the coupe was announced in 1988 it was indicated as being about 50kg heavier then the sedan.

USA published curb weight spec for 1988 300 Class
Not sure if they took the figures directly from the Euro spec.
USA cars came standard with A/C and sun roof..
260E - 1440kg
300E - 1450kg
300CE -1500kg
300TE -1575kg

In spite of shorter wheelbase it required structural reinforcement due to the lack of a b-pillar.

I actually weighed in around 1680kg with a full tank of petrol. :thumb:

Ed A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom