W124 questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

YOREVOL

Car
e320
just picked up my w124 E320, 217 mile trip home was almost flawless. not bad for a 20 year old car.
i have a couple of questions regarding the automatic gearbox.
1. the vendor said it was a 5 speed auto but it feels like a 4 speed, and the engine RPM seem high at motorway speeds. 80MPH at about 3000RPM. is this normal?
2. after about 3 hours, when i came to a stop in traffic the engine started to surge between 500RPM and 700-800RPM. but as i neared home and stopped on a hill the idle speed was spot on, would this be a fluid level problem?
just one question about the engine, traffic has been murder and i got stuck around Birchanger services. while in the queue the engine temp started to rise. i selected neutral and the engine RPM rose to 1250RPM and then dropped as the temp went down. temp got to about 92degrees but no higher. is this normal?
i had a 320E 10 years ago and dont recall any of theses quirks.

I'd hazard a guess that the gearbox is not selecting 5th gear (a known problem with that gearbox), and the throttle body wiring needs looking at.

thanks, the selector only has D,3 and 2. i seem to remember my old 320E gearlever sliding to the left to inhibit 5th. am i wrong?
will the throttle wiring be the dreaded wiring loom replacement?

3000 rpm @ 80 MPH is normal. These cars start in 2nd so counting the upshifts will only amount to the impression of obtaining 4th. If you select 2nd while standing still then count the up shifts you should arrive at 5 gears - as this will allow the box to start in 1st.

92 Deg C is normal after a run, 100 Deg C isn't really and could be the viscous fan drive or water pump. Did you have the AC on or off as it could also be the AC gas over pressure red switch not telling the electric fans to switch on....

The surging is not normal - others may have a clearer idea where to start on that but maybe the idle control system, the MAF, the throttle body slider contacts, or damaged wiring insulation....

Just seen your post above: sounds like a 4 speed trans as the 5 speed shifter does indeed go sideways into and out of 5th.

Last edited:
D,3,2 is the 4 speed box!

thanks, the selector only has D,3 and 2. i seem to remember my old 320E gearlever sliding to the left to inhibit 5th. am i wrong?
will the throttle wiring be the dreaded wiring loom replacement?

As others have said, d 3 2 is a 4 speed gearbox. So 3000rpm at 80mph sounds normal.

The throttle body has a short loom of it's own, but check the main harness anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom