W124 - Radiator gone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ModMan

Car
Soon to be a 2013 A Class
I think this may be my first post here, even thought I've been registered for years and do lots of lurking.

I have an 1992 W124 4matic estate which I am slowly working on. It arrived on the back of a trailer last week and after some general cleaning up, I started it earlier today. While letting it get up to temperature I noticed a split in the radiator surround (water spraying out) Do you think I need a new rad or is it repairable?

Here's a bad pic with the water spraying out. It's not coming from the pipe, but just below it on the plastic section:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-z8ZItkf3IdE/T7p6vbCTMZI/AAAAAAAAH-k/K-dP-vULmGk/s800/P1110715.JPG
P1110715.JPG

Also, does anyone know what this cylindrical thing is as it's whirring away with the ignition on?

P1110717.JPG

Thanks,
Dan

As above.

For the crack there is an glue manufacturer called JB Weld. I would try that first as a new rad could be £100+. Would not be a permenant fix but could give you some saving / breathing space.

Thank you for the replies. JB Weld it is .. for now to make sure everything else is alright before I spend too much money on the car.

Unlike Ian above I would change the radiator- reason being it also contains the transmission cooler coil which can corrode internally allowing transmission fluid and coolant to mix with disastrous consequences for the auto gearbox. Split may be an indication that its been damaged by frost through sitting around without antifreeze in the coolant. With a 4 matic you want your cooling system to be tip top anyway - think of the 4x4 transmission drag as the equivalent to towing a small trailer all the time.

Last edited:
Hello mate. I recently had the same problem with my radiator and having looked at the general outlets, GSF Car Parts and Euro Car Parts, i was getting quotes between £100 - £150. Had a look on ebay and bought one for £56 brand new with 2 year guarentee. Fitted like a glove, and got delivered in 2 working days!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom