W124 Radiator Neck Repair?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joloke

Car
89 Mercedes 230e
Ever since I got my car I have had a slow coolant leak. I Have had the engine sniff tested and compression tested and they come back as fine :thumb:

I have just found the leak after all this time and its seeping ever so slowly from the end of the top hose.

I suspect underneath the hose the neck is cracked as I know this is common :rolleyes:

I know Kent Bergsma of Mercedessource does this kit

https://mercedessource.com/store/plastic-radiator-broken-upper-neck-repair-kit

brokeradnectkit.jpg

I also know that Behr now reinforce the necks in a similar fashion.

To my eye that looks like just standard copper pipe????

By the time you have payed shipping and duty its going to end up £50 for a couple of scraps of sandpaper,A pair of Rubber Gloves,A couple of inches of Copper Pipe and Some Epoxy!!!

:ehh:

Does anybody here know what diameter pipe I would need as a full length of pipe from Wickes us under a tenner :rolleyes:

If it can be repaired I can at least get it to a friends to have the rad replaced :D

Kent does some really good stuff but he is In the states an I feel certain I can knock up the kit myself here locally If I know what size Pipe I need?

Thanks

Jodie :)

This is a bite the bullet moment. Partially drain the radiator remove the top hose and measure the internal diameter then compare it to common copper pipe sizes?

This is a bite the bullet moment. Partially drain the radiator remove the top hose and measure the internal diameter then compare it to common copper pipe sizes?

Guessing so grober ;)

I know some in the states have done this but they mention 1" Pipe Nearest we have is 22mm but not sure if 22mm is inside or outside diameter?

1inch = about 25mm if 22mm is inside diameter I guess outside could be 25mm?

28mm would be too big :doh:

The top neck on the radiator I have just pulled out of me C300 has an internal diameter of 30mm reducing to 25mm when you get to the (plastic) reinforced section. External diameter is 35mm.

The top neck on the radiator I have just pulled out of me C300 has an internal diameter of 30mm reducing to 25mm when you get to the (plastic) reinforced section. External diameter is 35mm.

25mm sounds right but the nearest pipe is 22mm :(

Though I am not sure if this is internal or external diameter?

I will probably end up replacing it anyhow but just want to help it get to my friends around 90 miles away who can help me replace it ;)

If it's taken you a long time to find and is only a minor leak then I'd have thought it'd be good for a sensibly driven 90 mile trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom