W124 radio adapters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smeeeee

Car
W210 cdi estate
Hi All,

Only me, just wondered if any of you knew of any suppliers of connection kits to adapt from the standard MB radio connector to other manufacturers (Alpine). I know Halfrauds sell things like this but I imagine they are unlikely to stock something for the W124 I would guess.

Any help greatly appreciated :D

Unless I was just lucky on Mrs. Golloms transport, the unit plugged straight in

Well at the very most the wirring loom that will come with your new Alpine unit you could hardwire it to the old connnection OR if your current connection is ISO ready which it should then you dont need anything, all new alpine units are ISO ready

blimey,

ISO ready? Standards? surely not :D

So the wiring in a W124 is standard ISO already? That's goiod news

Thanks

It should be but that said you should pull your current unit out to check. A picture of ure current stock radio would make things easier ?

I'll keep my fingers crossed for now then, as it is at w124works for the week.

It currently has a Sony unit in but I am hoping that the previous owner didn't just splice it into place.

Do you have any recommendations for the front dash speakers b.t.w?

tahverymuch

W124 radio wiring does not use ISO connectors. I just cut the custom connectors off and used an ISO to bare wire adaptor to hook up my Philips head unit.

Sony head unit in that case i can say that it will most probably be ISO which is what you want. As for speakers id recomend Alpine since you will be going for an Alpine head unit. If you can get the measurements of your current ones i can help you out with which are ideal for your car

If you're up this way to pick up your car from the Works then CPC is usually cheaper than Halfords for bits. For example, an ISO to bare lead adaptor is £2.47 at CPC and £13.49 :eek: at Halfords.

Last edited:
Sony head unit in that case i can say that it will most probably be ISO which is what you want. As for speakers id recomend Alpine since you will be going for an Alpine head unit. If you can get the measurements of your current ones i can help you out with which are ideal for your car

thanks,

The front ones are the standard grotty dash units, which I think are 120cm (edit - sorry, I meant 120mm!!), but I need to get the car back and take 'em out to check how they fit in I think.

The rears look like 6.5 inchers to my naked eye, mounted on the estate door! I will probably not use this position as it's probably going to sound better in the rear doors.

Do you rate Alpine speakers then?

tahverymuch

Last edited:
I thought that facelift W124s were ISO and pre-facelift were not.

I discovered this when I did some investigation into a forum member's car and found that some idiot had cut off the factory plugs and wired up the headunit (incorrectly) to fit another headunit. This means that not even the vehicle-specific adapter kit would have helped! I was going to re-wire the thing but he ended up selling the car.

Shude may well be right. Mine (without ISO connectors) is pre-facelift, and I haven't got that intimate with a post-facelift W124 yet...

Got Infinity Reference 11 cm in the front of mine ..... had to drill new holes , but other than that they slotted straight in , sound amazing .....

I replaced the standard pioneers with Rainbow's from Raysmith - sounded much better and you could def see the difference in quality and feel.

Best thing is they fit straight in and even have the same spring clips to secure the speakers just like the originals..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom