W124 Rear Lights - What are these?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buster'stheboy

Car
W124 230e 1989
Saw this on ebay and wondered what it was. Haven't seen this before on a 124, but you lot probably have.

Do these extensions to the light covers that go across the boot actually light up or are they just for decoration? Sorry, I don't know the proper name for them. Are they original Mercedes kit?

Attachments

• 300e boot trim.jpg
    300e boot trim.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 76
I have seen them somewhere before. I think they were purely decorative/reflective and fitted over the lower part of the boot panel. I have no idea where you could get one if you wanted it.

On the facelift models there is a boot lid "fill panel" that occupies that space so I guess its meant to replace that [ its not MB its AFTERMARKET] . My guess its just reflective because it would require extensive rewiring through the boot lid wiring link to hook up to the rest of the cars wiring.

I've also seen this concept before on something, but not sure if a Merc.

I think it may have been a facelift MK2 Cavalier or something similar - the strips had tastefully faded.

There's this sort concept on post and pre-facelift Cavaliers - this is a pre-facelift:

1984/85 Vauxhall Cavalier Mk2 LD 5dr | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

But I've also seen indicator amber/yellow and brake light red strips going from the lights right across the back - faded, as said.

That's not annoying that I can't remember what on though... :doh:

They were made by Hella back in the day.

12-09-11--06.jpg

Thanks all for your replies, I knew you'd know. :)

Not sure if I like it or not, was just curious as I've never seen one before.

I like that link to the old car pics too.

They always fade to a different colour than the tail lights & give the car a Barry look.

Looks nice but they do tend to fade way worse than the actual lights.

Looked for one of these for my W124 for ages- My uncle had one on his 86 200D, and it was a dealer fit accessory- in Germany.

Mercedes W124 Heckreflektor Heckblende Rücklicht | eBay

Heckblende Reflektor Reflektorblende Mercedes W126 | eBay

Richard Grant made the "tasteful" tail Blazer in the UK
140.jpg

The facelift Mk2 cavalier had these things as standard, a red panel fill in between the taillights, all the rage back then! I remember being very proud 'cos my SRi had HUGE tyres.... 195/60/14. Those were the days.

Looked for one of these for my W124 for ages- My uncle had one on his 86 200D, and it was a dealer fit accessory- in Germany.

Mercedes W124 Heckreflektor Heckblende Rücklicht | eBay

Heckblende Reflektor Reflektorblende Mercedes W126 | eBay

Richard Grant made the "tasteful" tail Blazer in the UK
140.jpg

The facelift Mk2 cavalier had these things as standard, a red panel fill in between the taillights, all the rage back then! I remember being very proud 'cos my SRi had HUGE tyres.... 195/60/14. Those were the days.

I remember those days as well - namely the early 90s.

My Manta had 195/60/14s and can remember struggling to afford tyres being a STUDENT, STUDENT! They did look wide though.

However, I compromised and put the best Goodyear Eagle NCT2s (£95ish each) on the front and saving a few quid with Firestone Firehawk 660s (£60 I think) at the back.

I remember the red panel trend on the back of hot hatch cars around then.

Lol, with my Manta(s) I got the cheapest crappiest tyres I could get my hands on, as I tended to go everywhere looking through the side windows :) Mind you I was running 185/60/13's on Revolution 4 spokes, 400 bonnet, twin lamps, 4 Cibie super Oscars,roll cage, Recaro's, harnesses and a Peter Maiden developments exhaust... oh, and a Carlton 2.2 engine on 48's and trumpets.

God, I enjoyed typing that. beats EBD,TC,ESP etc anyday. :rolleyes:

My Chavalier had a tail-blazer ,but wasn't anything like as posh as Tiff's SRi...

Bit slower too, especially when one piston let go and it consumed all the oil driving down the M1...well until it stopped...

Lol, with my Manta(s) I got the cheapest crappiest tyres I could get my hands on, as I tended to go everywhere looking through the side windows

Manta's may have been a laugh, but the handling was seriously lacking due to the rear trailing arms and live axle.

I had a magnum, which was better handling, but slower due to being more boxy.

A better car as it had Rostyle wheels...and four headlamps... So...

A Magnum was just a posh Viva, a Firenza was what you wanted back then!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom