W124 rear suspension - HELP!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikeyb1049

Guys
I've got a 95 220 coupe and just now when I jumped on the brakes got an awful banging/rattling noise from the rear end. Got the wheels off and the brakes were fine BUT found this instead (see pics) - any ideas what's happened and what I need to do?!
Thanks
Mike

Attachments

• image-2480976447.jpg
    image-2480976447.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 38
  • image-1827869103.jpg
    image-1827869103.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 29
Looks nasty. A new subframe bush would be a good place to start fella!

WG M-B said:
Looks nasty. A new subframe bush would be a good place to start fella!

Thanks!! Is it a DIYable job? I'll turn my hand to most things but if I need special tools I'm screwed...

That's the front? mount for the rear subframe. Its difficult to tell from the pictures waht exactly has happened but there are 3 possibilities. One the subframe has failed two the mount has disintegrated three the section of the main body frame where the subframe mounts has rusted through. ITS A VERY COMMON FAILURE POINT ON THESE CARS. Its usually the front ones that go first- that and the rear sill jacking points-- all around the same place. Best get both sides repaired if the other one looks at all suspect. Unless you are an experienced welder its not a DIY job I'm afraid. A few more pictures from different angles might help a more accurate diagnosis

here's avideo of a rear subframe removal its for a190 but the w124 is very similar [YOUTUBE]StyMryBrtnk[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
The inner metal tube has collapsed and broken free of the rubber bush.

A hammer and chisel will see the old bush out and then press the new one in with large water pump pliers or using a jack.

If its just the mount as DM says then breath a huge sigh of relief and renew both front bushes. If you are not used to working under cars and using a bit of brute force in a controlled manner I suggest you leave this to the pros. Any good local back to basics garage should be able to do this for you. ECP does Lemforder ones which are fine.

Last edited:
Thanks grober - doesn't sound great does it... I'll get some more shots from different angles in the morning to see if that gives you any more info at all. I take it there was something (a bush?) in there before it disintegrated? I can't picture what it looked like previously and can't really did anything to look at on the Internet.

It originally looked like this.

$(KGrHqFHJFQE92!yimYbBPjYG3w17Q~~60_35.JPG

Brilliant thanks for the help guys - that's my day sorted tomorrow then!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom