w124 - removing ignition barrel with no key?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paul_jw

my 124 project - i have a new lockset but im going to have to go to MB and get an ignition key (£26) just to get the barrel out. is there another way to get the barrel out so i can put my new one in and see if it starts?

Don't think so. The lock has to be in pos #1 to insert the removal tool.

Drill.

I've done it on a Cavalier - Cavalier/Vectra ignition locks wear, one day the lock gets a bit sticky, next week it won't turn at all (with either key). So ended-up drilling it out (saved a few levers and with the replacement lock was able to make 9 lever barrel that worked!)

As yours isn't worn I'd just pay the £26.

You can get it off by exposing the holes with careful use of a dremel. The black surround that you cut back can be sourced easilly and reasonably cheaply.

I had to do it myself.

just use the original keyset if you can, it will make things difficult in the future if you loose your new key as the dealership wont be able to order you a new one and youll have to get a full lockset again

I think ill go with the dremel to reveal the holes. thanks for the tip spike.

was your steering lock engaged?

was it easy enough to pop the new one in after this?

Last edited:
It doesnt matter if the steering lock is engaged really. The Steering lock is disengaged by turning the lower section of the lock which can be done with a screwdriver or even a finger once the barrel is removed. I drove around for a wheek with no barrel in the car without problem.

Refitting of lock and surround is literally a 5 second job.

spike i owe you a beer. ill give it a go at next week as the one benefit is that the car is parked at work! quick dinner hour job i hope.

I've recently got mine out with the use of a slide hammer.

I used the screw attachement and wound it into the lock, then pulled the barrell clean out with out causing any other damage

Although it did mean starting my car with a screwdriver for a few days, I felt all "gone in 60 seconds" lol

I've recently got mine out with the use of a slide hammer.

I used the screw attachement and wound it into the lock, then pulled the barrell clean out with out causing any other damage

Although it did mean starting my car with a screwdriver for a few days, I felt all "gone in 60 seconds" lol

did the replacement lock go in ok?

did you just remove the trim and steering wheel?

thanks
paul.

im based in essex.

te replacement lock went in fine, i just removed the trim around the lock

im based in essex.

te replacement lock went in fine, i just removed the trim around the lock

Did you remove the trim before you took the barrel out and if so, how?

I know this probably sounds a dumb question, but I can't see how it comes off without mullering it.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom