• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W124 Restoration

I'm a bit confused as to why most W124's over your end of the world are rusty? Here down under, barely see any with rust whatsoever. I know certain places in Europe & I suppose the US get rusty ones due to salt used to disperse snow. Is this the same where your located. My 87' 300E has nil rusty issues. It has been totally resprayed a few years back but floor & underbody is completely sound.

My 1989 300TD needed new front wings 11 years old when I bought it in Holland. After the same amount of time in Portugal (no salt...) no rust on the cheapo pattern replacements.

Mind you, the W210 doesn't even need salt to rust.:crazy:

1994 w124 220 cabrio restoration

Hi everyone,

This is my first thread though I have been reading up on bits for a while...

I am currently (trying to) restore a W124 E220 cabrio for the last year, my sl 450 is in hibernation while this project consumes my time....

Problems include as per usual W124 stuff

Rot lower front wings behind headlamps and inner wings (have welded them myself) rust minimal other areas so not bad

Jacking points rusty but only surface so have stripped off the body kit and treated them to some ag and rusteater

Mechanics are mostly complete now - have changed shocks, brake discs, pads, oil, filter, gearbox oil and filter, plugs, leads, and brake hoses.

I have fixed the fan, (brushes) and replaced the temp sender, and fixed the temperature display unit.

PROBLEMS YET TO FIX .....

Hood ...does not work at all , checked fuses and cannot open it from spanner manually.... I think power is there as unit lights up when catches are released? was working a year ago. I need to get into the soft top compartment to change the shocks? Is there anyone that knows how to get the compartment up?

Rear headrests in up position- lights on but not flashing & will not lower I have tried holding the button up etc....?

Wiring..... seems like some wires have burnt out- to the brake resevoir etc, am gong to try and trace these back and repair.

Bodywork will need body kit and front wings resprayed to finish.

Hoping to get it back on the road by the summer hopefully.... if anyone is interested I can upload some photos .....THANKS :)

Everyone will be interested , but i would start a seperate thread detailing it. :)

Welcome DancSL450. As Howard says a separate tread so we can all follow your exploits.

Welcome to the forum.

Taking a bit longer to finish everything on the car
Soon as I get close,something else comes up :doh:

Taking this baby`s for a re-trim soon

IMG_7976.jpg

That`s a members Twin Turbo,bough the seats from him

Thank you again Jeff aka Mosselann

Looks great Dash !

Are you going to drop it a bit once the AMG lump goes in ? looks high at the front ?

Just bought some Brabus springs :thumb: should look much better lowered

Hats off

Hi,well done and such a worthwile project.Inspiring to see what is possible.Looking foreward to seeing your next upgrade, the transplant.Keep up the good work,you must be so proud and rightly so.Thanks for your time:thumb:.

Euge.

Dash, Love the way you have put this together, it looks sweet.:thumb:
The 3.6 will be the iceing on the cake ! Your an inspiration of what can be done top man !!!

It`s been a while but I will update the thread soon

It`s been a while but I will update the thread soon

Time flies when you're having fun....:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom