W124 retro fit cruise control

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rigel

Car
W124 cabrio
As the title suggests, I am intending to retro fit cruise on my W124 cabriolet. It’s a 95 with the M111960 engine.

I have sourced all the component parts (thanks BillyW124) and have the various MB worksheets detailing the fitment.

My first part of the project is to fit the loom.

What I can’t find out is where the loom runs within the car and the location where it goes through and into the engine bay to hook up to the actuator?

The loom came from MB with a bid rubber grommet already fitted (hopefully shown in attached photo), where should this go? Is there a specific hole someone can direct me to? Nothing rude please, I’m already having trouble sitting, but that’s a different story.

I presume the loom then threads around behind the heater somehow to get to the drivers side to attach to the various hook-ups there.

Any direction would be greatly received, and thanks in advance.

Regards, R.

rigel-albums-parts-picture6168-tempomat-loom-grommet.jpg

The dimensions of the grommet are 25mm front to back; the hole it fits must be approx 25mm diameter and approx. 12mm deep.

Last edited:
I'm yet to figure this out but if you find out I'd be greatful!

I think its going to be fed through the firewall on the left somewhere. Possible that the hole we need is blocked by a blanking gromet that needs to be popped out. Difficult to see from the top I'm thinking an idea would be to get it on a four post ramp and have a look from underneath..

The loom is the hard bit. It's way bigger than I thought it would be!

AFAIK it goes though the bulkhead on the offside, the fuses live in or near the fusebox / relay tray and the long bit left over crosses to the nearside and the actuator

There's a narrow multipin plug which plugs into a busbar on the outside of the offside footwell. Didn't know there was a busbar system there? Me either. It's hidden under a bunch of cables running vertically behind the plastic trim alongside your right foot

I would think the cables passes through the bulkhead under the fusebox

Nick Froome

Hi Billy,

Was thinking the two things I wish my w124 had are Air Con and Cruise Control.

I would greatly appreciate joining you guys in your efforts to retrofit cruise control - could you please tell me what I will need to begin the process.

All the Best,

adil

There's a narrow multipin plug which plugs into a busbar on the outside of the offside footwell. Didn't know there was a busbar system there? Me either. It's hidden under a bunch of cables running vertically behind the plastic trim alongside your right foot

Nick Froome

The cruise has no busbar connections. If its the multipoint connector block you are refering to on the righthandside behind the driver kick panel than there is no need. The loom has no connection for this.

Hi Billy,

Was thinking the two things I wish my w124 had are Air Con and Cruise Control.

I would greatly appreciate joining you guys in your efforts to retrofit cruise control - could you please tell me what I will need to begin the process.

All the Best,

adil

Hi Adil,

Look here. http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/125297-m111-tempomat-actuator.html

With regards to fitting a/c no chance!

Been down that route of thinking of retro fitting it from a donor vehicle i had but the job would have been massive IMO (to do it properly).

You could retrofit aftermarket AC systems but again somthing i wouldnt do to my coupe.

Instead use your lovely coupe's four windows and sunroof!

Last edited:
Judging by the layout of the connections on the loom itself and the location of the ECU, I think the grommets location must be somewhere in the passenger side foot-well. The remaining cable to get to where it meets the actuator plug (on the N/S inner wing in front of the suspension mount) is not long enough to reach if it passes into the engine bay by the fuse box on the drivers side

This might be specific to the M111960 engine; I think the cruise on the 320 is managed via the main engine loom and has a different setup.

It’s the location of where the grommet fits that’s flummoxing me at the moment.:confused:

Further to the above, I’ve been having a look in the engine bay for the route of this loom.
I removed the plastic cover that sits behind the battery and found a 32mm grommeted hole that goes through into the cabin by the passenger air bag. This could do but it is too big for the grommet on the loom and doesn’t appear deep enough. its circled in orange.

The location of the plug for the actuator connection is at the orange oblong.

Does anyone on the forum have a 94/95 E220 with factory fitted air/con?
if so, would it be possible to please trace the cable from actuator connection at the orange oblong back and see where it enters the cabin (hopefully somewhere by the passenger foot well)

regards, R.

rigel-albums-parts-picture6175-tempomat-loom-route.jpg

The cruise has no busbar connections. If its the multipoint connector block you are refering to on the righthandside behind the driver kick panel than there is no need. The loom has no connection for this

I think there's more than one type of CC setup. The one I looked at had a spur from the CC loom which went to the busbar / multipoint connector block, a plug for the switch, multipin for the amplifier, earth cable, 2-way fuse block and more

Nick Froome

Hi Gents,

Was anyone successful in getting their cruise control fitted and working?

Best,

adil

I'll see how Simon has routed mines on the 320 conversion. we've used the 220 set up on a 320.

He has however mounted the cruise ecu on the passenger footwell..i'll check were the plug is routed from. there is no connection to the multipoint connector block on the set up you have. its exactly the same one as mines.

Further to the above, I’ve been having a look in the engine bay for the route of this loom. I removed the plastic cover that sits behind the battery and found a 32mm grommeted hole that goes through into the cabin by the passenger air bag. This could do but it is too big for the grommet on the loom and doesn’t appear deep enough. its circled in orange. would it be possible to please trace the cable from actuator connection at the orange oblong back and see where it enters the cabin (hopefully somewhere by the passenger foot well)

I'll see how Simon has routed mines on the 320 conversion. we've used the 220 set up on a 320.
To the right of the ovp relay there are 2 rubber grommets, one above the other. The cruise control loom passes through the un-used hole, the other is used for the gearbox loom and incar ovp connections.

hi guys, i did fit cruise from 260e into my 300D. it was pain but all working correctly. there were differences. on 260E loom from cc ecu under steering wheel is routed under dashboard to ns then through bulkhead by the battery then there was a connector by abs pump and further down to actuator which sits under intake manifold. this is different to diesel as actuator sits on side of the Head on left side as you look on the engine so i had to modify that, shortened the loom a bit and passed that bit of loom through fuse box. as for other wiring all you need is neutral from behind the cluster, live from fuse no.5, signal from brake switch and signal from speed sensor. be aware that on models (i think post 89) if there is outside temp guage then it uses speed sensor as well, it sort of freezes display if the speed is below something, can't remember. hope it helps if you have any Q just ask.

Hi ,I am new to the forum, so hi to all.

Ok my problem is with my 2003 C200 kompressor. It has done 150,000 miles, and is in excellent all round condition, I have never driven it badly.
while driving awfully! On the motorway light acceleration all is fine, but give it gas and there is a lack of performance, and it backfires and go again without problems, it makes it once or twice a day.
i've change bluges and one of blug coiles and it still the same.
please any one can tell me what to do now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom