W124 S/E transmission switch slider

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LoveMercs

Hello,

My Standard/Economy switch wasn't doing anything in my W124 E320, so I pulled apart the centre console to get at it. Unfortunately, while doing so, I didn't really pay attention to how the slider/knob attached to the switch :fail.

After fixing the switch (with liberal applications of WD40 and elbow grease), and re-assembling the console, I discovered the switch "prong(s)" are not proud of the console surface.. ie, I have no idea how the slider/knob is supposed to attach to them:

slider.JPG

you can see the slider has a flat bottom, and the switch "prongs" sit lower than the edge of the slot in the surface of the plastic. The prongs are only about 3mm long, and the various layers of plastic fascia which the switch sits below are about the same thickness, so I don't see how it could stick above the surface for the knob to attach to.

What am I missing here? Is there some little lost dohickey that sits between the two, enabling them to engage? :dk:

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
Boomtings thanks for that i have been looking fro over an hour to find something like it . Good site thanks for that ,i will keep it in my saved items..

(with liberal applications of WD40 and .....

I would steer clear of WD40 for switch cleaning. Yes, it should loosen it up but, for long-term revitalisation of switch contacts, get a good quality electrical contact cleaner/lubricant.

And then use it on every switch/contact/connector that you find in the car.

RayH

Thanks for all your replies, guys.

Boomtings - I think your diagrams have nailed it. I cannot remember seeing anything like that, though, so I guess I'd better empty out my vaccuum cleaner bag and see if I accidentally hoovered it up while cleaning out the gearshift area (one of the previous owners was a smoker and that whole cavity was like an ashtray... :eek: )

Alriiight!

Thanks to Boomting I had some idea of what I was looking for; sifted through the vacuum cleaner bag and found... a pound coin... and a little black plastic doohickey.

Here it is...

slider2.JPG

(plus "lucky" £1 coin).

Pulled the console apart, stuck it onto the switch prongs, re-assembled the console, et voila. Thanks for all your help, guys :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom