W124 'sacco' panels/bumpers - matte or gloss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SilverSaloon

MB Enthusiast
Car
1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
hi

Getting my W124 resprayed (partially anyway), and want the opinion of others whether I should continue the sacco panels/bumpers in the body-coloured matt colour they are now, or go for gloss all over the car

thoughts? i'm 50/50 at the moment and cant decide

cheers

Derek

Visually, painting the lower panels the same colour and finish as the upper bodywork makes the car look a little younger IMO.

So I vote gloss.

Last edited:
If its the green one I would go with gloss. For the silver I prefer the matt finish though.

Hi. I had mine done the same finish as the bodywork when she was restored 9 years ago and I think it looks the nuts, especially in the blue/black metallic.

Light colours over darker sacco panels is good, so in that case stick to the original matte finish.
Dark colours over lighter sacco panels is more problematic - I would go for the gloss main body colour myself, but this is always contentious. Main body colour in matte is a bit of a compromise cop-out, IMHO.

Thanks

I think I will go with gloss. It's the green estate by the way. I also went with gloss on the silver car too as I have had the
Bumpers resprayed for that, but not the Sacco panels - on that car though it's brilliant silver for body but atlas grey for the bumpers but they are glossier than the green one which is the same base colour all over just with a Matt lacquer on the panels. Some (earlier) spruce green cars had lighter green on the panels but my cars not like this

Hmmm, I hadn't considered this and I don't think the bodyshop is best pleased about the matt panels...

Mine is Azurite blue. What do you think, will gloss panels suit it?

Gloss panels in azurite will look good. Dark paint with dark gloss panels works well. Light coloured paint with darker panels does not really work in gloss. At least thats my opinion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom