W124 Scorpion alarm fob programming?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
GL63 AMG / 190E 2.5-16 / Porsche 911
Hi gang,

Just got a new addition to the fleet, another 124 estate and have got a quick question:

Does anyone know about the dealer fitted scorpion alarm fobs, as found in the earlier models?

This is a '91 with the red alarm box in the engine bay. One of the alarm fobs is dead (I think it's a loose connection on the battery contact), but the other fob illuminates when pressed, but doesn't do anything on the car.

I think the vehicle's battery has been disconnected at some point recently. Is there a re-synchronising process or something? I also have a small key which I assume is for the alarm box (as on the later W202s etc with scorpion alarms?), so this might be a possibility (I'll try it in the morning when it's daylight etc)

Any ideas or advice most welcomed :)

Will

In all honesty, I'd junk the existing alarm and fit something better. The Scorpion alarms were pretty crap even when new, and age will not have improved them.

The small key on mine is for disabling the alarm - your alarm might just be switched off to prevent it randomly activating in various capacities whilst driving down the street.. (something I am familiar with...:rolleyes:)

Ade

Last edited:
Ive got the same problem on the e36, one of the fobs lights up but does not do anything on the alarm. The other fob does work, so its not too bad. Would be interesting to know if there is a method to re-pair them.

Cheers guys,

A new alarm is not really an option, It wold probably cost more than the car did! ;)

I've been sent a link to a website with some Scorpion PDF manuals so I'll have a look to see if I can find some instructions and also I'll try and see what the key will/won't do in the morning.

Ade - I must admit, I did think of your idea about it being de-activated by a previous owner. It wouldn't surprise me.

Cheers,

Will

I've got the original manual for this alarm somewhere. I'll have a search around.

Thanks guys :)

Grober - it's the type in your first link I think. It's not the later 'facelift' 124/202 (MBSS?) system with the MB fob/flick out blade etc, just a basic key and a seperate scorpion fob.

High-Lo, if you find any other details in your original guide, that would be much appreciated.

Also, just had a look inside the fobs, they both power up and illuminate, the dead one just needs a connector for th battery terminal re-soldering.

I'll try the key in the alarm siren tomorrow morning, no doubt it'll deafen me as it shrieks out 3 feet from my ear with the bonnet up in the rain! :eek::D;)

Cheers,

Will

Hi Will - Unfortunately the original Mercedes Scorpion manual for the old style fob is only 6 pages long and just illustrates the use of the fob and the meaning of the LED flashes, etc.

I also have a later manual for the flip key which will not be of use to you but that one does explain the sync procedure.

If you want the manual FOC let me know.

Steve

Look inside th glove box. Some Scorpion Alarms have another switch, usually mounted in the glove box and activated with a castleated key (which may be missing).

This is of a 94 W202, the round key is for turning off the alarm or perhaps just the siren, the keyswitch can be located at the alarm box or siren, in glove box or above driver knees or somewhere that it can be found by someone in exactly your position.

Might well just have been turned off for some reason by previous owner, if the key is in your possession then it follows there must be a kewswitch somewhere.

If there are white numbers on the alarm box then I think the correspond to the user manuals in the boopolo site mentioned by grober bear in mind also that there may be a rechargeable battery in the alarm box which may be flat.

Dec

This company still does remotes. http://www.scorpionauto.com/keyfobs.html Its no longer" scorpion alarms" but there might be a few folks still there who are familiar with your model. There might be a model number on the underside of the alarm which might help. The key will probably only disarm the siren--not the alarm. The alarm control unit will probably be under the dash board close to the steering column but its location varies according to who did the aftermarket fitting. check your PM also ;)

i have the original instructions. If anyone would be interested in a scan of these i can post. PM me if interested and i'll do it.

EDIT - OK i will scan tonight and attach pics to this thread.

Last edited:
This company still does remotes. http://www.scorpionauto.com/keyfobs.html Its no longer" scorpion alarms" but there might be a few folks still there who are familiar with your model. There might be a model number on the underside of the alarm which might help. The key will probably only disarm the siren--not the alarm. The alarm control unit will probably be under the dash board close to the steering column but its location varies according to who did the aftermarket fitting. check your PM also ;)

Many thanks, and replied :)

Cheers,

Will

Hi

here are the scans:

hope it helps!!

Derek

Just to add my two penneth.... I can vouch for the fact that Scorpion still have a guy that knows about these "older" alarms. I got them to send me a replacement for a 1992 alarm which still works fine. From phone call to new alarm fob dropping on the mat was under 24 hours as well. If you require a new fob, they'll ask you to give them the code number from your existing fob (hidden on a white sticker as other posters have stated). However, even if the sticker is missing, a new fob can be arranged if you send them a couple of digital photos showing both sides of the fob's circuit board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom