w124 self leveling suspention

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriss428

Car
w124 230e manual white amg kit+ Yreg W210 E320 Tekiti Grey 7seater hadGina w124 E200te blue 7seater
my estate is very bouncy, unless fully loaded, then just bouncy lol have been told it is the sphears and that they arnt cheap:( so can i just put a loop in the fluid line that goes from the sphears feed to the return there for bypassing them all together? is this the done thing or is buying an aftermarket suspention set ( lowering kit ) the only cheaper option??

cheers chris

You can get the spheres aftermarket at places like Euro, around £70-£100 each... trust me there really is no substitute for a properly working levelling suspension system.

Hi
not actually much of a job, did mine in an afternoon, the spheres are listed by MB at about £100 each, may be cheaper around, see what EPC have? Make sure to get OE, Lemforder I believe?

May only be one of them gone, check the pump and valve are working too. The short pipes are cheap, replace if rusty.

Trying to replace the SLS with shock absorbers is not really viable, the bottom mountings won't take stock dampers and you will lose load carrying capacity.

cheers!

i have a pair of 2nd hand (fully tested, working) spheres available - PM me

Speak to Martin at Pleaides, he should be able to re-gas the ones you have, unless the diaphragms are split.

Tel 01487 831239

You can't take the spheres out of the system, they are the springs and dampers.

Last edited:
Hi
not actually much of a job, did mine in an afternoon, the spheres are listed by MB at about £100 each, may be cheaper around, see what EPC have? Make sure to get OE, Lemforder I believe?

May only be one of them gone, check the pump and valve are working too. The short pipes are cheap, replace if rusty.

Trying to replace the SLS with shock absorbers is not really viable, the bottom mountings won't take stock dampers and you will lose load carrying capacity.

cheers!

Are the bottom mountings not the same as the saloon ones? They are the same part after all.

The SLS rams are not like dampers at all, they are hydraulic rams.

I was referring to the lower spring carrying suspension arm to which the shock absorbers and rams attach. Mine is an estate so I do know what you said...and I have worked on it. In other words, there is no reason why stock shocks would not fit.

I was referring to the lower spring carrying suspension arm to which the shock absorbers and rams attach. Mine is an estate so I do know what you said...and I have worked on it. In other words, there is no reason why stock shocks would not fit.

As a minimum one would require new heavier duty springs, as the SLS supports about 50% of the unladen mass. The springs are just here to stop the rear end sinking while switched off.

so can i just put a loop in the fluid line that goes from the sphears feed to the return there for bypassing them all together? is this the done thing or is buying an aftermarket suspention set ( lowering kit ) the only cheaper option??

cheers chris

You can't bypassw the spheres, there is no compliance in the suspension without them. You can't compress hydraulic fluid!

I described how to do it a while back BTW with some pics.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/gene...tidy-up-will-i-ever-learn-13.html#post1255560

Last edited:
Are the bottom mountings not the same as the saloon ones? They are the same part after all.

Pretty sure the saloon uses standard single mounting on the bottom of the strut?

If you replace the self-levelling system with hydraulic struts you will either have to have shocks set to give a comfortable ride empty, or a comfortable ride with it fully loaded..or reduce the amount you can safely carry - and would it not also upset your insurance?

cheers!

Last edited:
W124's were never intended to use conventional springs and shocks, so you would need to get them specially made (unless someone out there is doing a kit already) if you wanted to go 'conventional'. The hydraulic pipes are the same pipes an HGV uses as brake pipes, so get a roll of that if you intend to do the pipes. l found someone locally who replaced the whole system for £400.
Not cheap, but cheap compared to some of the quotes l was given.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom