W124 self levelling suspension problem.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB-tex

Car
1996 E280 estate.
Hi All

96 W124 E280 estate.

Had new spheres and lots of new self levelling pipework done. Suspension now very smooth again but self levelling no longer works. With 5 people and a weeks camping gear the car was comically low and scraped its undercarriage on gravel tracks. Didn't realise how effective the SLS system was until it ceased working... Had it re-checked by the mechanic (who knows these cars and the SLS system well) and he could find no fault. Any ideas that I could follow up?

Thanks

Tom

Easy to check if pump is working... just take off top of bottle and see if fluid returning.

Check the arm is connected correctly on the level adjuster at the rear anti roll bar?

Check the arm is connected correctly on the level adjuster at the rear anti roll bar?

That's what I'd look at if the pump is o.k.. Also check to see how much adjustment is available, usually 10-15mm from memory.

Thanks both. I checked the bottle and yes the fluid is pumping ok. Will try to get the car over a pit this afternoon and check the level adjuster. It is connected but will try to see if I can get the system to work by manipulating this...

Tom

When you move the lever dont expect any response... You wont really see any movement..

I had to try a few settings on the rod before I got the level right on my car.

Hi All

Took the car back to the mechanic this morning who after much fiddling with the control rod suggested it is almost certainly a failed valve (£350 +VAT from dealers!) so if anyone has an old one lying round (for a lot less than that) let me know...

Thanks for all the advice - much appreciated.

plenty on ebay... Failing that try Three Pointed Parts.

They dont often fail... Mine was making a loud clicking for some reason so had to be replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom