W124 series E class, advice for a newbie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have had three of the W124 series. Started off with a 200T. Reason, was for the dog (St Bernard sadly deseased) Still have it in various bits :D . I was then tempted with a 260E. Currently at 224K miles. The body work needs some serious attention but I love it to bits. Always starts irrespective of the weather. Comfy, fast (ish) but a little thirsty, which is all down to me. I also have a E220 Coupe which both my wife and I fight over. To regular readers you will know all about this. :D Why did I go for W124's ?, because they are bullet proof, few electronics, easy to work on, reliable and have style with a capital S. Yes they can have problems mainly suspention and rust on the front arches but you learn to live with them. Parts can be both expensive or cheap depending on who you get them from and what task they are required to perform. For critical life saving items go to a Dealer, for the rest use who you can find. Do I want to supposedly upgrade? Nope I will stick with the trusted model, unless I can get an E60 at reasonable cost or 500E.

Ian B Walker said:
I have had three of the W124 series. Started off with a 200T. Reason, was for the dog (St Bernard sadly deseased) Still have it in various bits :D .

You chopped up your dog after it died Ian ? :eek:

Heartless, heartless man ...... ;)

Howard said:

Touche :D Like that Howard take a nanna :bannana:

Howard said:

PMSL :D

I am only after buying my own 124 (a 96 E200 estate) so I cant really comment on my experiences with it yet, but we had a few 124's in the family over the past years, an 87 230e, a 1990 200e and most recently an 89 200te, all were wonderfull cars, I'm hopeing to have good experiences to report with my own one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom