W124 single to double wiper conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ecossebev

Car
Mercedes Benz 230 TE
I'm thinking of changing from a single wiper to a double wiper. I saw this but I don't know how efficient it would be. It doesn't fit the Pug very well, but my W124 is wider and I think it might work. Anyone think it is a good idea?

Forget it :confused:. the picture was too big to fit on here apparantly....it was a good one too.............

I'd look at other models of Merc to find one with approx the same size windscreen , then see if the mechanism can be swapped over .

I guess I might start by looking at the W123 , windscreen might be slightly smaller , but of mech fits , you could possibly change blade sizes .

Are you finding the monoblade slow to clear ? when I got my first 124 the blade was slow , but greasing the mechanism and replacing oxidised fuses made a BIG difference .

Are you mad? One of the coolest things about the W124 is the panoramic wiper :crazy:

I always really liked the monoblade too , but I know not everyone does .

If the man wants to modify his car , it is HIS car .

Are you finding the monoblade slow to clear ? when I got my first 124 the blade was slow , but greasing the mechanism and replacing oxidised fuses made a BIG difference .
MB screenwash makes a big difference too!

It apparently "eliminates blade shadow". You need that don't you? :)

One of the best things about the w124 wiper is the single wiper blade..

when i saw one in the 80's i was gobsmacked.. now these standard double wipers are pure crap.. another great invention out the window...

my father had a 1986 230te.. in 1986.. and still to this day i remember my favorite thing about the car was the wiper system.. along with the dash style, the body style, the grill style, the comfy seats, the wiper blade, the little red flashing seat belt alert, the wiper blade, the self closing boot, the seats in the floor in the boot, the wiper blade, the square left mirror and the rectangular right mirror, the wiper blade, the wiper blade.. get my point? lol.. keep ittt!

keep it mate...!!

One of the best things about the w124 wiper is the single wiper blade..
It's cool, looks great and a superb talking point but is seriously flawed. Why would MB give up on the single wiper after ~20 years? Dispite an update earlier on (190e?) it still struggled. They even invented the world's greatest screenwash to compensate but ultimately it had to go.

I have a new windscreen, new motor, regularly oiled/greased mechanism, new wiperblade and only use MB screenwash. Works silently and efficiently but it's still not perfect :rolleyes:

Personally I love it! Something very German about it plus I love cheering on an underdog :)

I always thought the W124 , along with its siblings W201/R129/W140 was one of the most 'modern looking' generations of Mercedes produced in recent years - and still prefer the styling to newer offerings which , to my eyes , look more 'old fashioned' .

Down the years , again just to my eyes , the most striking designs Mercedes have introduced have been 1) the W110/111/112 'Fintail' series and the derivative coupes ; 2) the most stylish and timeless car ever - the W113 'Pagoda' SL series ; 3) the W116 'S Class' series ; then the models listed above .

I always thought the W124 , along with its siblings W201/R129/W140 was one of the most 'modern looking' generations of Mercedes produced in recent years - and still prefer the styling to newer offerings which , to my eyes , look more 'old fashioned' .

Down the years , again just to my eyes , the most striking designs Mercedes have introduced have been 1) the W110/111/112 'Fintail' series and the derivative coupes ; 2) the most stylish and timeless car ever - the W113 'Pagoda' SL series ; 3) the W116 'S Class' series ; then the models listed above .

defo agree

Pagoda is a car and a half!

hopefully on my wish list.. my birthday is coming up.. lets see if there is a God or Goddess eh lol

It's cool, looks great and a superb talking point but is seriously flawed. Why would MB give up on the single wiper after ~20 years?
I have a new windscreen, new motor, regularly oiled/greased mechanism, new wiperblade and only use MB screenwash. Works silently and efficiently but it's still not perfect :rolleyes:
Personally I love it! Something very German about it plus I love cheering on an underdog :)

I love it too, and extra cool-points are awarded by the fact that it's still in use on a production car...
...from Koenigsegg

CCXR_083.jpg

Would you buy a W124 without its original wiper? I wouldn't. Nevertheless, each to his own.

I love it too, and extra cool-points are awarded by the fact that it's still in use on a production car...
...from Koenigsegg
Quite a few supercars over the years have used 124 wiper mechs! :)

On the W201, I think the wiper mech resides in a specific notch formed in the windscreen. If the W124 is a similar state of affairs, I don't think any other setup will be useable in its place?

I don't mind modifying my cars , as long as the mods are reversible and don't leave holes behind . If a different wiper mech could be fitted using the original mounting points , even with some sort of adapter plate , that would be fine with me . If the mod meant hacking bits out of the bulkhead - I'd have to say no .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom