W124 Speaker upgrades

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kbhogalW126

Car
'98 W140 S320
Does anyone know what size speakers I need for W124's?

Would like to replace both front and back speakers in the coupe and saloon.

They just don't have the oomph that the W203/W209 speakers had.

Any advice on sizes / manufacturers / types (single cone or dual cone)?

tia,

KJ

Last edited:
Looky here:http://car.rainbow-audio.de/products/overview.php?lan=2&pro=1&lin=12&kfz=0305

I have the W203 fitments and the sound and transformation is astounding, they are available from other UK sources so shop around ok.:D

PS: It really does depend on whether you are prepared to do some work with adapter plates and so forth, if you really need a high quality system and really need something that is designed to fit these kits really are plug'n play and something to consider with these you can remove them just as easily should you decide too.

Best Regards.

Last edited:
Front and rear deck factory sizes are 12cm and very few companies make this size. Pioneer used to make this size a few years back but even those are hard to come by.

I have heard people buying 13cm ones and trimming the edge but for this to work the depth must not suceed a certain length.

Speaking of Pioneer, just found a pair that will fit snug in th dash using the same stock clip fitting system:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PIONEER-TS-H1...oryZ3292QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

These sets are very rare and hard to come by these days !

I've got 13cm Infinity's in the front of mine .... takes a bit of tinkering ...

And Kicker 5 1/4 inch in the back , had to make MDF rings to raise them up a bit so they fit ...

I replaced mine with 13cm Alpines all round. They lack any real bass so I fitted a powered sub-woofer in the boot. The sound is fantastic and is a cheap upgrade.

There's no "Magic Bullet" cure for W124 audio but better speakers, better positioning and a decent amplifier all help enormously

IMHO the in-dash position produces a nasty midrange squawk to the sound. If you really want an improvement put the speakers in the doors and lose the dash speakers

Getting decent bass is another topic entirely...

There's a fair amount of stuff on the TalkAudio forum - search for Orca's door builds

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Looky here:http://car.rainbow-audio.de/products/overview.php?lan=2&pro=1&lin=12&kfz=0305

I have the W203 fitments and the sound and transformation is astounding, they are available from other UK sources so shop around ok.:D

PS: It really does depend on whether you are prepared to do some work with adapter plates and so forth, if you really need a high quality system and really need something that is designed to fit these kits really are plug'n play and something to consider with these you can remove them just as easily should you decide too.

Best Regards.

At £100 ish a set are they actually good speakers or is their benefit mainly that they fit straight into the W124? I will be upgrading my ICE soon and speakers are the most important part of the system so I dont want to get it wrong!

Cheers
Simon

Speaker options

There are plenty of 12cm options on ebay.de for various budgets use

Google translator (works well) for item info

Thanks for that, I've been waiting two and a half years for an answer to that question. :)

Blimey! Was just this very afternoon discussing upgrading the speakers in my 124.
AAndyy just PM'd me this very same link.
Got a few jobs to do before I get round to this one but its in the old sky rocket for the not too distant future.

I put a Blaupunkt low profile sub under my drivers seat (just fits without interfering with anything - had to make a bracket and wire it in - pics available if it would help) and left the speakers standard - sound is great but not like a teenager's rollerskate you hear thumping along so often. You can get better spec speakers that fit in the standard grilles too so you can keep it looking unmolested. Hope that helps

I put a Blaupunkt low profile sub under my drivers seat (just fits without interfering with anything - had to make a bracket and wire it in - pics available if it would help)
Hi-

I'd love to see pictures, or at least know the model number. Just got a 300TD and looking at options to improve the sound.

Thanks.

/\ + 2

No problem John, glad the link was of use - had that one saved in my favourites as it was the cheapest I could find on-line.

If you could let us know if it fits in the first aid kit bay in your update that'd be great!

Cheers, Justin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom