W124 speakers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PhilipBF

Car
W124
Hi there,

I have a W124 (P reg), the front speakers, almost certainly the originals, are distorting and I'd like to replace them.

Are replacements easy to get hold of?
Since Haynes only went up to 93 and my car was registered in Sept 96, which manual would I be best buying?

Many thanks,

Phil

I bought the Rainbows for mine, they are as Graeme says a very odd size. I can't say I was enamoured of them, but then I'm fussy, you could try the dealers for the standard speakers, they are better than having knackered ones and a bit cheaper than Rainbows.

The rainbows are not bad considering size and where they are positioned. Very clear voice and neutral sound. As long as you have something else to provide lower frequencies then they are as good as you can get for the dash fitting. I use Morels in the tailgate and rear doors which to me gives a reasonable overall sound.

You don't say which engine you have. The Haynes manual is pretty good for all things non engine/transmission related. The front speakers are an odd size. http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/electronics/85012-w124-speakers-rainbow-iq230-231182-a.html

Thanks guys. It's the E220. When I went looking for a W124 a year ago, I wanted low mileage, service history and no rust. I decided if I could find these, I'd live with whatever the car did or didn't have. So mine is quite basic but has 64k.

It has the standard speakers front and rear and I'm reluctant to cut holes in the car to fit better ones.

Is access to the front ones reasonably straight forward and would the Haynes manual be best?

Access is easy. Just lift the strip on the inner edge of the grille and all will become clear. It should prise off very easily.

Pioneer used to make custom fit speakers for the w124 dash, product code TS-124. They pop up on ebay regularly as nos and usually sell for around 25 gbp a pair bnib. The Rainbow speakers are almost certainly higher quality though.

I picked up a pair of the out-of-production Pioneer units from ebay a week ago - went for reserve price of £24.99 with no other bids

Dead easy to fit (PeachParts wiki has idiot-proof instructions) and whilst not super-amazing, a huge improvement over knackered 20-year-old original units.

Yesterday I had a stereo shop modify the parcel shelf to take 17cm rear units (they had to cut some metal from the original speaker mount locations in addition to making bigger holes in the shelf) - I now have a system that sounds like something you'd expect in a modern cheap-to-midrange vehicle. Using a 90s Sony head unit - so nicely in keeping with the age and overall tenor of the vehicle.

HTH

Chris, '93 220CE, Manchester

If you pay the postage and send me a fiver for my favourite charity I can give you a set of original dash 124 speakers if yours are knackered.

If you upgrade, then Rainbow as mentioned... or otherwise it's the path of "expensive"...

GP801 said:
The rainbows are not bad considering size and where they are positioned. Very clear voice and neutral sound. As long as you have something else to provide lower frequencies then they are as good as you can get for the dash fitting. I use Morels in the tailgate and rear doors which to me gives a reasonable overall sound.

It's not quite true that they're the best you can get... I have Audison Voce; under the dash with both a 3", a 1" and a crossover all fitting with no fancy permanent mods needed. The lower door cards are replaced with Jehnert 124 specific fittings that look totally original - two matching 6.5" speakers go in each side. It works properly.

Not being funny ;^) but that's how you use the stock dash location. Sounds good.

Thanks for all the info guys. I've seen the Rainbows on eBay which are around £300 for front and rear. Can anyone confirm that the rear speakers will fit my estate, as I think most of you have coupes? I have emailed the seller with this question, but no response yet. I have also seen the Pioneers for around £25 for the pair, so just deciding what to do.
When I've made a purchase and installed, I'll post on this thread.
Phil

Some up to date German links here for you.

Don't bother with rear, you won't hear them!

I'd go Pioneer for £25, frankly.

Mine has Alpine 62222AX front (sound ok for a 4 inch speaker)
Pioneer TS126 rear (sound rubbish)
A previous owner replaced originals ? :dk:

I was looking at the tenth item down in Grobers link (post 2 )
The rears at 44 euros,
This is the Bing translation, they sound great :confused:
Drugs and a grope, what more could you want from a pair of speakers.

More than a gateway drug offers this series for the ambitious listeners everything you need. Sound and powerful components with high-quality materials and sophisticated details. The positive experiences of the past have been focused and to the point. Here everything, not only for the price is right. And "Very good", not enough for you, here also the opportunity to grope in the League up.

All the sellers of the Rainbows for W124s seem to sell the same size for front and rear, around 12cm. I phoned Ray Smith and they confirmed that they sell front and rear the same size and haven't had any returned. I've just taken the covers off a front and a rear speaker in my car (W124 1996 E220 Estate) and the rear speakers are smaller, they look to be about 10cm. It's true I haven't fully removed the speaker, hence not being precise with the measurements, but the rear one is smaller.
I feel as though I'm missing something obvious, can anyone advise?

Just measure it and solve your problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom