W124 Specifications required

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keen

Would anyone be able to advise me of the horsepower and torque specifications for a 1989 300E. Any other relevant specifications would be appreciated.

I would like to confirm whether the Euro models are superior to the US or Japanese units.

Thank you.

Ok heres the info

Engine Capacity: 2962cc, Cast iron block with aluminium 2 valve head and 7 main bearing bottom end

Compression ratio: 10:1

Power: 188bhp @ 5600rpm and Max Torque of 192lb ft @ 4250rpm.

Transmission: 4 speed with a final drive ratio of 3.07

Performance: 0-60 8.4sec, 0-100 23.7sec, top speed 143mph

Acceleration in 3rd gear: 30-50 5.5sec, 50-70 5.9sec, 70-90 7.0

All of the info above was taken from an original test report conducted by Autocar magazine on the 300E....in other words they are real life figures and may contradict some of the performance data put out by Mercedes in their publicity material.

The verdict at the end of the test report goes as follows;

"This car has exceptional performance from the eager straight six, the delightfully smooth four speed automatic gearbox, which really is a gem, the better than average fuel consumption, safe reassuring handling thanks to the new suspension design, plus the high build quality and attention to detail and finish. Against this is the slightly suspect ride and limited rear passenger legroom-easily reduced by most rivals"

Long live the W124! ;)

Fuel consumption: Test average: 22.7mpg, average driving 25mpg, gentle 29.5mpg.

300e m103 engine 6 CYLINDER cast iron block aluminium head 4 main bearings single overhead cam 2,962 cc 88.5x80.2 mm bore/stroke 190 bhp at 5,600 192 lb ft at 4,600 KAT There may be slight differences depending on emisssions equipment in US. US cars tended to be speced higher than european models air con trim levels etc. Main gripe in the states seemed to be with the US style headlamps which many owners upgraded to euro spec . See MB E-CLASS OWNERS BIBLE for conversion instructions

Sorry that should read 7 main bearing crank!!!! figures for US MODELS 300E power 177 bhp@5,700 and torque 188ft/lbs@4,400 SAE. compression ratio 9.6/1 for 96 RON petrol. it would appear the US cars are down slightly on power compared to UK models. There are numerous posts about changing resistors in the ignition circuits to advance the timing to increase power slightly. Apparently ignition was retarded to cope with lower grade petrol in some markets. I got these figures from the aformentioned E-CLASS OWNERS BIBLE which is an excellent introduction to the w124 series PUblished by www.BentleyPublishers.com ISBN 0-8376-0230-0

Many thanks for your promt replys. I hope to acquire a copy of the publication which is so highly praised for the W124 very soon.

Regards,

Keen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom