W124 speed limiter disable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XJguy

Car
1994 E320 Coupe
How does one go about disabling or removing the 135mph speed limiter on the 94 E320 W124?

Do the non USA models also have this silliness?

I contacted JET chips and they said it is not the ECU.

Not seen it on any W124 here. Can't therefore help I'm afraid.

No speed limiter on a uk 320 that I'm aware of, the 300-24 and 320 both pass 135mph.

I had my E320 estate up to an indicated 142mph (satnav rather than speedo) on the A1 autobahn in Germany. Frankly, not something I'd repeat, it lacks side wind stability and the suspension is not controlled enough to make it enjoyable.

Had mine up to 160 mph ,but that was in a dream .I treat my car as an old friend and drive her that way .I might need it another day.

I contacted JET chips and they said it is not the ECU.

Highly possible they don't know what they're talking about

I know Mercedes like to complicate things but, when faced with speed-limiting a car with fully-mapped ignition & fuelling, I doubt they'd invent a new device to do it when one line of code in the ECU would do the trick

Nick Froome

What I have read is that the control is done via the signal from the VSS located behind the speedometer. If one were to disconnect it that might be all that is needed but then you immediately lose cruise control and if equipped traction control. I would not need cruise control at 150 and my car does not have ASD so it's not an issue, but I don't know what else might malfunction as a result of this.

As far as JET, they said they can improve the acceleration but cant remove the speed limiter, which would make sense if its not in the ECU.

No speed limiter on a uk 320 that I'm aware of, the 300-24 and 320 both pass 135mph.

Based on this I am going to look and compare the part numbers of a few electronics and see if that is the solution.

I had my E320 estate up to an indicated 142mph (satnav rather than speedo) on the A1 autobahn in Germany. Frankly, not something I'd repeat, it lacks side wind stability and the suspension is not controlled enough to make it enjoyable.

Stock tires and suspension dont lend themselves that well to that.....but with a prepped car its 100% rock stable.

Based on this I am going to look and compare the part numbers of a few electronics and see if that is the solution.

This may be a silly question, but what makes you think the car has a speed limiter?

This may be a silly question, but what makes you think the car has a speed limiter?

I've bounced off it many times. It bogs like a rev limiter and will not go faster even though the acceleration is strong and RPMs are down.

I've bounced off it many times. It bogs like a rev limiter and will not go faster even though the acceleration is strong and RPMs are down.

Well it certainly sounds like a speed limiter, the only place that would be is in the ecu so you'll need to swap it for one without. Do you know the part number for your ecu?

The vss signal to the ecu come's from the abs system, green and yellow wire. If you disconnect it you will get a new rev limiter of 4000rpm.

Last edited:
What did you do to it to make it stable may I ask. I found the front feels quite light at those speeds...

If you want your limiter off you do it don't let them grind you down.

Obviously we just need E200cdis then if we all stick to 70mph :doh:

My limiters off and have no doubt it goes off the clock (200mph)

What did you do to it to make it stable may I ask. I found the front feels quite light at those speeds...

Lowered, HR springs, Bilstein shocks, Sportline or AMG bushings all around, Sportline front anti sway bar, W210 rear sway bar. All arms, and controls arms were replaced with new OEM....basically everything underneath the car was replaced with new components and upgraded. Lastly 17" wheels with low profile higher speed rated tires. Runs perfectly flat like any new modern high performance car.....until 135mph when it will not go anymore :mad:

As far as JET, they said they can improve the acceleration but cant remove the speed limiter, which would make sense if its not in the ECU.

Are they going to chip tune it?

I am intrigued to see if they can actually make a measurable difference to a 320 with a standard ECU

If you remove the speed signal you'll lose the cruise control, if fitted, and, if the car has a 5-speed box, at times it won't know when to change gear

The ECU could calculate road speed from gearing but, on all the European cars, they use a speed sensor on the speedo for the cruise

Japanese cars have the limiter as well

Nick Froome

Are they going to chip tune it?

I am intrigued to see if they can actually make a measurable difference to a 320 with a standard ECU

If you remove the speed signal you'll lose the cruise control, if fitted, and, if the car has a 5-speed box, at times it won't know when to change gear

The ECU could calculate road speed from gearing but, on all the European cars, they use a speed sensor on the speedo for the cruise

Japanese cars have the limiter as well

Nick Froome

The 500E is easy all you need is a new chip, the E320 has no chip it needs to have the ECU reflashed. You send them your ECU and they change it for you. I am not going to look into that until I can chase down how to get rid of the speed limiter....which no one seems to have an answer for.

Everyone has told me that its not the ECU but I looked on EPC and there is in fact a different ECU for Non USA cars.

USA: 016 545 57 32
UK: 016 545 60 32

Interesting is that the one for Austria is same as USA.

Everyone has told me that its not the ECU but I looked on EPC and there is in fact a different ECU for Non USA cars.

USA: 016 545 57 32
UK: 016 545 60 32

Interesting is that the one for Austria is same as USA.

There is at least 5 different ecu's for the 320, possibly more.

017 545 32 32 doesn't have a speed limiter.

I have another ecu somewhere with a different number, I'll check that tomorrow.

Another thing to check is if the extra 2 pins are present on your ecu, they are the ones with the metal shroud around them. This affects the 4000rpm neutral rev limiter.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom