w124 Sportline Shocks Which Bilsteins Shocks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bh13coupe

Car
124 coupe
Guys

I am about to pull the Trigger on changing my springs and shocks on my coupe to Sportline Specs.
My question is (after talking to NIKS who has pointed me towards B8 shocks).
What is the difference between the B4, B6 and B8 Bilsteins other than cost. I have always thought the B8 were designed for springs dropping to 40mm plus as per their B12 Kit (sportline springs drop around 20mm). However Bilstein also offer a B4 and and a B6 option for sportline model. The cheapest option is the B4 which I beleive to be close to the original spec but I dont want buy them if they are crap in comparison to the far more expensive B6 and B8's. On the grand scale of the work a few hundred quid difference is not an issue.
Has anyone experienced the differnce on these shocks? After speaking with NIKS the std Bilsteins and HD's are a no go with SPortline Springs.

thanks

B4 is the HD ones so for a 20mm drop,I say go for B6.On my saloon I have sortline springs and front shocks,the rear shocks are B4

If I have got this correct;

1. you want to change your existing springs and shocks.

2. you want to change to Merc sportline springs

3. you are asking what shocks to put onto car with the new sportline springs.

If above is correct then the Answer has got to be sportline shocks from dealer, which will be valved correctly to match with the springs.

Does that sound reasonable ?

Guys

I am about to pull the Trigger on changing my springs and shocks on my coupe to Sportline Specs.
My question is (after talking to NIKS who has pointed me towards B8 shocks).
What is the difference between the B4, B6 and B8 Bilsteins other than cost. I have always thought the B8 were designed for springs dropping to 40mm plus as per their B12 Kit (sportline springs drop around 20mm). However Bilstein also offer a B4 and and a B6 option for sportline model. The cheapest option is the B4 which I beleive to be close to the original spec but I dont want buy them if they are crap in comparison to the far more expensive B6 and B8's. On the grand scale of the work a few hundred quid difference is not an issue.
Has anyone experienced the differnce on these shocks? After speaking with NIKS the std Bilsteins and HD's are a no go with SPortline Springs.

thanks

No problem using HD's with a lowering spring..
Porsches do it all the time...

Only to look at the W126 with a lowered period AMG suspension.
I don't believe that Bilstein offers the Sports for this chassis, only HD's.

The reason that Bilstein recommends Sports with lowering springs is one of product liability.

The HD and Sport are identical in all ways including size and valving.
The only difference is that the Sport has an internal stop that limits the piston travel by one inch.

Bilstein is concerned that on a car that is extremely lowered, the possibilty exists that the spring will move off its mount.

A 1.5" drop is not considered extreme.

Consider the road surfaces that you travel, too much of a spring drop along with a short strut/shock travel will decrease the handling of your vehicle by not keeping the tires in contact with the road.

I run H&R Sport lowering springs ( 1.3"-1.5" drop ) along with Bilstein HD strut/shocks and OEM Sportline sway bars front and rear.
Just installed a Sparco front upper strut tower bar to keep the front chassis square.

The most important thing to keep in mind is to change the shock mounts and replace any bushings that show deterioration.

Ed A.

B4 is the HD ones so for a 20mm drop,I say go for B6.On my saloon I have sortline springs and front shocks,the rear shocks are B4

Looking at the front shock options. The confusion I have is where does V36-4053 fit in on the list if B4 are not for Sportline Chassis?

V36-4053 B4 for Sportline Chassis
V36-0190 B4 for Standard Chassis
V36-0361 B4 for Heavy Duty

Looking at the front shock options. The confusion I have is where does V36-4053 fit in on the list if B4 are not for Sportline Chassis?

V36-4053 B4 for Sportline Chassis
V36-0190 B4 for Standard Chassis
V36-0361 B4 for Heavy Duty

:dk::dk: .They must be all diif B4s.even the E36 had bilstein that looked just like the B4 but had a blue sticker with AMG and some numbers

The HD and Sport are identical in all ways including size and valving.
The only difference is that the Sport has an internal stop that limits the piston travel by one inch.

Ed A.

That is wrong.

The short shock are just that - short.

They are physically shorter in body length and total length even with piston extended.

Paul,

What are your existing springs and shocks presently on the car ?

the springs are some crappy aftermarkets things one size fits all and the front is too low, shocks are Bilsten B4 HD's approx 12months old

4 notch spring pads

That is wrong.

The short shock are just that - short.

They are physically shorter in body length and total length even with piston extended.

I beg to differ with you.....

Obviously you aren't familiar with Bilstein shocks and struts.

Put the HD next to the Sport and you'll see that the only difference is in a 1" shorter stroke in the Sport...and of course the colors are different.

If you don't believe me, then see for yourself...

BILSTEIN.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at the above picture the yellow shock looks like a B6/B8 Bilstein. All B4's are black. I have a link from the Bilstein catalogue. This would explain the difference

Parts catalogue

It seems I can buy the B4's and it will be the same as the OE version mercedes used 16 odd years ago. However if I want a newer higher perfromance shock designed after sportline shocks were specified by MB. I can buy the B8 style which will fit a sportline chassis. The same shock used in their B12 kit which will sit as low as 40mm. These shocks are £70 more than the B4's
Same scenario for the rears.

Looking at the above picture the yellow shock looks like a B6/B8 Bilstein. All B4's are black. I have a link from the Bilstein catalogue. This would explain the difference

Parts catalogue

It seems I can buy the B4's and it will be the same as the OE version mercedes used 16 odd years ago. However if I want a newer higher perfromance shock designed after sportline shocks were specified by MB. I can buy the B8 style which will fit a sportline chassis. The same shock used in their B12 kit which will sit as low as 40mm. These shocks are £70 more than the B4's
Same scenario for the rears.

All Bilstein Sports are painted yellow...these are the B8

The Sport Strut for your chassis should be F4-V36-0365-H0
This is a much more aggresive strut then the OEM Sportline Sachs/Boge unit.

The HD strut should be F4-V36-0361-H0
( Note I'm using the North American catalogue )

The HD is much closer in performance to the OEM Sportline then the Sport...:thumb:

P.S.

This is my 1988 300CE with H&R Sport lowering springs, Bilstein HD Struts/shocks and front/rear Sportline swaybars. Very compliant and well balanced.

CE12.jpg

This should demostrate how well the suspension loading is working...no axle windup or hopping, even down force on both drive wheels..not bad considering that it still has the stock 3.07:1 open differential.

BURNOUT2.jpg

Last edited:
Just had a look yesterday and you`re right,my front sportline shocks are V36-4053
120910101.jpg

Hi guys,
I know this is an old post but thought that some of the people in the know might be able to advise.
I have the white AMG springs and Bilsteins that are stamped AMG on my 300ce coupe, one of the front shocks is leaking.
What is a direct replacement for those shocks please?
Thanks.
The AMG spring code is 001 124 322.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom