w124 spring has broken and now stuck against wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kobold

Car
1991 w124 260E
I have a front coil spring problem on a 1991 w124 260E.

The spring has broken at the lower end and I found a broken off segment containing two coils on the ground. The spring is now at an angle and poking into the inside rim of the wheel (see pics). The top section of the tyre has disappeared up into the wheel arch and as a result I cannot turn the wheel. I cannot move the car forward or back because the spring is digging into the wheel.

I am thinking I might remove the wheel so the rest of that spring will drop out. I am not sure if the wheel can be removed easily as the tyre is being pushed right up against the inside of the wheel arch. I have not tried jacking it up yet.

Is it normal for the wheel to be compressed right up into the wheel arch when the spring breaks? Do you think it is safe to take that wheel off?

Attachments

• spring01.jpg
    spring01.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 40
  • spring02.jpg
    spring02.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 38
Jack up the car so that the tension on the spring will be released, you can then remove the wheel. Is the car on your drive?

I would assume it is unsafe. I'd try rocking the car back & forth an inch or two (by driving it) to try to get the spring to pop out. I wouldn't do it with anyone else around

Nick Froome

I prefer the first option of jacking it up by the front jack point.

As the lower wishbone lowers, along with the wheel, the full tension will be off the spring and spring is likely to fall out.

The spring is not compressed much as it is .

Unusual situation on 124 though.

try jacking car up and then compressing the spring with spring clamps then take wheel off

Jack up the car so that the tension on the spring will be released, you can then remove the wheel. Is the car on your drive?

Spot on!!!!

Wishbone should drop just enough to release the remaining pressure left in that spring.

do not drive the car back and forth as suggested or your spring perch may be damaged

mazza

OMG a w124 spring snapped?!

..this is a sad day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom