W124 steering wheel removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smoothcoupe

Car
MERCEDES E55K-2001 AUDI S8-MERCEDES 300CE 24V SPORTLINE
How do I remove the steering wheel on my 1995 e280.

On the back of the wheel you fitt find 2 torx bolts, you need to undo them to remove the airbag. You then need to detach the airbag lead, and remove it.
Below you will see the Hex bolt, get someone to hold the wheel while you undo the bolt. It can be very tight, Id advise a breaker bar, as Ive broken rachets before.

Do not to forget to disconnect the battery and red plug under the passengers footwell foot cover before disconnecting anything.

Do not to forget to disconnect the battery and red plug under the passengers footwell foot cover before disconnecting anything.
Mind me asking Ian,why?:dk:

A few folks have been landed with serious injury by not disconnecting the red SRS connector prior to playing with steering wheel...disconnecting battery is not enough as the SRS system has a capacitor holding enough charge to trigger airbag even with battery disconnected.

Not worth anyone's life to proceed touching those two 27mm torx bolts without disconnecting the SRS plug.....only takes 30 seconds.

talbir

When you have loosened the center bolt leave it in a few turns till the wheel has come loose on the splines. It's easy to hit yourself on the chin when it comes off with a rush.

When you have loosened the center bolt leave it in a few turns till the wheel has come loose on the splines. It's easy to hit yourself on the chin when it comes off with a rush.

Was funny the time my friend did this until he turned around and it had knockd 3 of his teeth out:crazy:

I have detailed instructions under my 500e section and 190e section that should answer all your questions concerning airbag/steering wheel removal as well as upgrading to newer style steering wheels and what is necessary for the conversion.

www.2phast.com

On the back of the wheel you fitt find 2 torx bolts, you need to undo them to remove the airbag. You then need to detach the airbag lead, and remove it.
Below you will see the Hex bolt, get someone to hold the wheel while you undo the bolt. It can be very tight, Id advise a breaker bar, as Ive broken rachets before.

DO NOT mess with airbags until you have disconnected the battery and the airbag module ( in the passenger footwell of the W124 ) .

Ah , I see this has already been advised !

:confused: I disconnected my air bag without disconnecting the battery when I changed in the new burl wood steering wheel... but that was on a W209 06 CLK350.

Guess I was lucky :rolleyes:

I have detailed instructions under my 500e section and 190e section that should answer all your questions concerning airbag/steering wheel removal as well as upgrading to newer style steering wheels and what is necessary for the conversion.

www.2phast.com

Great write up for the steering wheel conversion. If I read correctly this mod would work best with a late model w124.

Last edited:
Post resurection i know!

Can someone definitively tell me where the (red) airbag module is? Under the passanger matt or behind the stereo??

Thanks Dee

The control unit [ inertia detector that senses rapid deacceleration is bolted to the transmission tunnel] behind the stereo. [ignore it] The capacitance unit and its charging transformer that provides the trigger to fire the pyrotechnics can be either behind the passenger footwell side panel or under the passenger footrest plate under the carpet . You will have to remove either to access/see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom