W124 sunroof gasket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Niks

MB Enthusiast
Can the sunroof gasket be replaced without taking the whole sunroof out?

Its started to come out in one corner and wont let the sunroof close flush. The haynes manual doesnt say anything about it.

its got to come out, or at least unbolted from the inside once you remove the head liner. The whole cassette can be tilted into the cabin with somebody holding it while you replace the gasket from the top.

Thanks Bill.. have you actually done this? Im asking because everywhere Ive read, it seems the headliner is the biggest problem to put back on in an estate. I think the whole thing will need to come out anyway because the running gear needs a proper clean, lots of gunk has built up on the tracks.

Well i took out the sunroof cassette and gasket from the donor i had. Taking the headliner out in a 124 coupe wasn't a big task, not so sure about the estate though I don't think you'd need to take the whole thing down, just enough to give you clear visibility of the cassette from the inside so you can un bolt it. There is the small matter of trying to un hook the metal wire for manual adjustment that runs into the boot. That is the tricky part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom