W124 sunroof repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LoveMercs

I have a "sticky" sunroof (it moves very reluctantly) and finally bit the bullet and removed the sunroof liner & lid, side rail guides, water shield and the arms that slide/lift the sunroof, and given it all a good clean with isopropyl alcohol (some previous owner had used normal grease and it had hardened and caked everywhere). I've procured some glietpaste from Germany

Original Mercedes-Benz Schiebedach Gleitpaste A0019894651 - 10 Gramm Aktion | eBay

so am ready to put it all back together.

My issue is this: most of the felt/rubber pads are looking pretty sad and in need of replacement. I can order new ones from MB Brentford for around £80, but I see on eBay there are people selling new replacement sliding arms & felts for around half that price.

Mercedes E Class S124 W124 Sunroof Repair Kit Complete Set | eBay

The machining of the arms in the photos doesn't look too inspiring - you can see some of the holes in the casting weren't very well cleaned up, but I have no idea how important this is when it comes to whether the mechanism is "good enough" to get the job done for the life of the car.

Does anyone have experience with these? The original sliding arms appear to be ok, it's just the felts that need replacement... is it worth sticking with MB's OEM felts? Does anyone know if the felts on these eBay arms will fit the OEM arms?

Ta!

A friend bought one of these kits off ebay although possibly not this supplier. The quality was so bad he just junked it. I would be tempted to go with original felt pads but others may have had success with these kits.

I have BTDT myself very recently. They are pricey yes but it's best to buy all new MB felt pads when you have it all apart. Lube with Gleitpaste & put back together for 20+ years more trouble free service.

My top tip is use some Loctite precision max superglue to glue the new felt pads in place. Why?- because most failures I observe are from the felt pads simply falling off the rails

Don't forget about the 4x felt pads on the roof panel itself also

A friend bought one of these kits off ebay although possibly not this supplier. The quality was so bad he just junked it. I would be tempted to go with original felt pads but others may have had success with these kits.

Well that doesn't sound too inspiring!

I have BTDT myself very recently. They are pricey yes but it's best to buy all new MB felt pads when you have it all apart. Lube with Gleitpaste & put back together for 20+ years more trouble free service.

My top tip is use some Loctite precision max superglue to glue the new felt pads in place. Why?- because most failures I observe are from the felt pads simply falling off the rails

Don't forget about the 4x felt pads on the roof panel itself also

Superglue the pads in place: d'Oh! Why didn't I think of that?

Check out Kent Bragsna on youtube videos -MercedesSource strip service and install sun roof . Might help you re fit it right

Yes, I signed up for a couple. They're very thorough.

OK, looks like OEM pads are the way to go. Sad... would have been nice to save a few quid.

Thanks for the replies, everybody.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom