W124 timing chain gasket replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattc

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A4, 1994 E320 Coupe, 1995 E300 estate
I believe the above needs replacing on the 3.2 M104 engine in our '95 estate so I fancy doing it myself (seems straightforward enough as long as you keep an eye on the timing chain itself and dont let it jump a sprocket)

I have printed out a number of links on american sites but wondered whether anyone has an exhaustive list of bits (especially including the MB part numbers!!) I should buy before I start the job and go "bugger...could have done with X,Y or Z". I plan on disturbing as little as possible but am happy to cut the coolant pipe off and replace as a number of the threads suggest that is a real ball ache.

Any help/advice gratefully received,

matt

Do not get confused between the 3 litre 104 engine and 3.2 litre 104 engine which are quite different in many areas.

Make sure those instructions are for your 3.2 104 engine.

i'd be interested to know more as it is one of the jobs needing doing on our 95 E320. I won't be going diy i'd just like to know what is involved before our mechanic gets hold of it.

Paul

Do not get confused between the 3 litre 104 engine and 3.2 litre 104 engine which are quite different in many areas.

Make sure those instructions are for your 3.2 104 engine.

There is no specific timing cover gasket online thread I can find for the 3.2 104 though there are a few which mention it as part of a head gasket replacement. If I can be bothered I might do a How To and then share my mess ups with the wider world;).

I was hoping someone who had done one might suggest any bits to change whilst I am removing the cover but I think I will just order the bits and get it done next week.

Can't put my hands on it at the moment, but I'm pretty sure this is well covered in the E-Class Owner's Bible by Stu Ritter (Bentley Publishers -- ISBN-13: 978-0837602301), although perhaps not in a step-by-step fashion.

I thought this was a known weakness and independent from the CHG.

Mine has been weeping away merrily at the front of the block since I've had the car, I had the CHG replaced but they didn't fix this.

Ade

Update - leaking finished

and beware, these oil leaks usually turn out to be the head gasket!

How true! Changed the timing chain seal and oil FLOWED out of a leak from the CHG (I would guess about 200ml) and then resealed itself?!:dk: After scratching my head I had a word with Mr Walker at 124 works and I was there yesterday replacing the head with another one I had. Ian let me use one of his ramps and young Chris and between us we replaced the head whilst they also serviced a few cars during the day.

Many thanks Ian/Chris for putting up with my singing and insults for the day and I must apologies to Ian for keeping him longer than should have been necessary - I stupidly forgot to tighten on 3 of the upper timing cover bolts:eek::eek: (probably too busy jibber-jabbering) and we had a major moment when oil flowed out upon restart.

Once that was sorted I had a lovely trip back down the M6 to burn off the oil from the outside of the engine block:D

The estate is a few hundred miles shy of 200K and now has new gasket and loom so should be good for a few more years.

Many thanks Ian/Chris for putting up with my singing and insults for the day
The singing and insults were not a problem, but eating MY lunch and your poor coffee making skills? Well, Matt you need to improve somewhat. :doh:

Well, Matt you need to improve somewhat. :doh:

Have been told that more than once :devil:, and not just in reference to my coffee making skills.

As we are trading insults can I ask where the hob knobs were?????

Oh how lovely to be back behind the wheel of the green beast:bannana:! It really is beautiful to drive - thank you to Ian/Chris and Matt for working on it for all hours! :thumb:

Ian/Chris - I am sorry that you had Matt's singing and suspect coffee skills - gave me a break :devil::rolleyes:;)

As I accelerated up a hill to get lose the sight of a renault megane in my wake, I didn't get surrounded in burning oil smoke - such a delight!

Thanks boys! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom