W124 to have lumpy idle...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

imbck666

Car
Mercedes W124 230E Saloon (SOLD), W210 E200 (WRITTEN OFF), W210 E240 2001 Facelift, W211 E220 cdi 07
Hi all,
I have a W124 prefacelift 230E M102 engine auto..

I was just wondering if it was possible to modify anything so I could get a lumpy idle, sort of like a 500E with exhaust upgrade or american muscle car idle sound..?
I know those cars have V8 engines and have nothing to do with my car but was wondering if a cam upgrade would do this or is it just better to get a powerflow exhaust backbox to incorporate this?

Thanks in advance!

any ideas?

Have a word with d w124 he has a back box for sale. That could get you started.

Not only that he has a 190 for sale with an engine that may interest you. Not lumpy but boy I bet it sounds good. Check out the "Cars for Sale" part of the forum.

You want your 2.3L four to sound like a 5.0L V8?

Get a really loud stereo and play a recording of a V8 while you're driving?

Or put a V8 under the bonnet?

:bannana:

Last edited:
proper replies please...

thats an idea but I dont know anyone that will do it for me?? I want someone who knows these mercs inside out to do it :)

Dash (dw124) will be able to advise better, also RBYCC would be able to point you in the right path i'm sure.

But common sense would say to do a conversion with the least possible hassle.

i.e. buy a doner vehicle in line with the 124 (as all parts etc will be intact) and will basically be a 'straight' swap over.

a 3.6 conversion might be the best way to go. Or a 3.2 and slap a turbo on it? BUT seeing as your car is pre facelift, it may prove tricky to implement considering ECU's, fuelling etc and amongst other things im sure when considering the face lifted 124's?

i know Olly from PCS did a 3.6 conversion on Aka$h's motor. I've driven that and let me tell you, it was quick.

maybe someone can come along and see if you can enhance a 300-24? That might be another way to go for you perhaps?

Last edited:
i might just stick to a full exhaust system renewal and backbox.. i think that is the way to go :) but I appriciate your advice

..you're just after the Humm when idle aren't you, and the honed grrr when moving off combined with the lightly smoking tail pipes on a chilly sunday Morning!

all of a sudden a BMW 330 ci come to mind, dont ask why!

Anyway, somthing to consider, if you get a full exaust done (i think you may be exempt with the Catalyser stuff) it would sound quite loud i'm pretty sure.

but, (opinion pending) you dont want your motor sounding like a Saxo:doh: and on high revs i.e. on motorway journeys the constant bellowing sound at high revs. You may like it however?

Car's tuned/more powerfull take this stuff all in its stride and gives off the right note in sound when its needed.

Custom exausts in my opinion sound/feel a lot 'tinny'. but there are some very good ppl out there that can give you exactly what you are after.

exactly... now we are talking :)
but I certainly dont want a cheap saxo or modded ford or golf sound with a fat exhaust.. just an elegant humm and grumble when moving off but not loud on motorway..
I think powerflow exhausts will have something for me..
Thanks BillyW124

good luck with it, and let us know how you get on!

Some form of after market back box and removal of centre expansion box should do the trick. The best ---- Eisenmann Renntech and Remus are not cheap. Key these names and Mercedes into U tube to get an idea. You will never get that V8 "burble" because its comes from the engine having a 2 plane crank. All straight 4 /6 engines are single plane cranked engines

Last edited:
Billy: He's after the backbox I'm holding for you,you're still interested right??

OP: I don't know if you remember but about 2 years ago I told you that is best you start with another car.I can see if you want a V8 but for straight 6 is not worth doing the convertion as you can buy another car for less

Have a word with d w124 he has a back box for sale. That could get you started.

Not only that he has a 190 for sale with an engine that may interest you. Not lumpy but boy I bet it sounds good. Check out the "Cars for Sale" part of the forum.

Thank you John but the backbox is going to Billy
The 190 does sound good but if I decide to keep it,I'll bypass the centre silencer

My black car though is another story,I'm yet to hear another 124 6 cyl sound as good.Don't know if I can bring it to the gtg but my house is only round the corner ;)

I got the opposite problem, my m104 has a lumpy idle that needs ironing out.:wallbash::wallbash:

Hey Dash did u mention another GTG?

My black car though is another story,I'm yet to hear another 124 6 cyl sound as good.
You haven't heard mine yet :D:D:bannana::bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom