W124 transmission questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sub_zero

Car
W124 E220 1995
hi all,
for sometime now and my transmission slips,at 1st and 3rd change( while change the engine flares (revs up),some indy here says it is worn.
I went for transmission swap (my engine is M111),they told me that new models of W124 have different transmissions than older ones,newer transmission is much more expensive ,older transmissions are cheaper,they can be swapped but not recommended to swap a newer model transmission with older one.
My questions are:
1- are they honest saying that or just a lie to get more money from me?
2- can I swap my transmission with older models transmission? will it be a direct fit? does it have the same torque? the price of newer transmission models is double the price of older ones!!!!!!
thanks for any help

Before you change the box sub zero, do you know when it last had a fluid (atf) change?

Yup, try the tranny oil and filter change, may work wonders. Did for mine W124.

sorry for the delay...
I have changed oil ,filter and gasket 3 weeks ago with no clue :confused:

I don't want to change the transmission but slipping drives me crazy and cars behind me keep horns on ,I have followed some tips concerning early shifting,it does shift early so slipping minimized but still there ,hope cars behind me read this and be patient with me :eek:

what is the 'K3 spring pack'? could it be the one I'm after?

The 5 speed gearbox was really an electrically added overdrive to the 5 speed box. It got a reputation for being slightly more unreliable than the all hydraulic 4 speed standard box. I would stick with the 4 speed. This pdf might help you understand your gearbox.
http://www.w124performance.com/docs/mb/other/tranny_722_Mitchell.pdf

my transmission is 4 speed,am sure of this.
the old transmissions are 4 speed too,but for M103 engines not for M111 engines.
I think they are different yet both are 4-speed.

tranny from M103 surely will have diffrent gear ratios, so I would look for tranny from same engined car as yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom