W124 Turbodiesel 174mph

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

maxypriest

Car
W124 Superturbodiesel and a 1952 John Deere G. Lots of old bikes too.
Took the old Merc to RAF Woodbridge yesterday for a top speed event.

Lots of very fast stuff there and the w124 was easily the most boring /sensible car by a country mile.

On of my friends came along and he was at the start line when I pulled up for my first run against a 997 turbo - he later reported back that there was lots of "what's that cr4ppy old Merc doing here?" And "is that a bl00dy diesel?" Banter.

Lots of smoke and by the time I got in 3rd where I can give it WOT with out traction issues he said the banter turned to "that thing is really shifting!"

Official - 174mph, I hit the Rev limit on the fuel pump a long way before the end (1.35miles later) so a longer diff should yield 180's. She was smooth as silk at the top end. Brakes now completely bu&&ered.

When I got back to the start area I got a little round of applause and smiling faces / laughing.

Everyone loves a sleeper.

I've got a couple of video clips....now that is a fast W124 :bannana: it was great to watch.

I wanted to see you run with the maroon W203 classic :D

Leave it out! Whats the spec of your cars engine? I guess it's a 606 or 603 turbo? Pump, Turbo your using? I've just installed a 606 in my G-Class

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r6ZHHtCB5jM

Don’t take too much notice of the IPhone speedo – the GPS lag is terrible, but its better than nothing – the speedo fix is a winter job.
You can clearly see what gear I’m in so for reference –

1st at 5500 is 27mph
2nd 49
3rd 77
4th 109
5th 137
6th maxed out at 174. Longer diff required for next year – you can hear the fuelling being pulled back by the fuel pump governor long before the end of the runway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom