W124 Turbodiesel - 181.2 mph over a standing start mile

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Dude, you’re my hero. How was the breaking from 181 in the 124?

A good build Max saw this first on retro rides. A question i would like to ask .Would it be possible to ditch both my petrol fuel pumps for one like the diesel set up you have in the beast ?.

I suppose you could, however the 260e has an accumulator and I’m not sure how sensitive the K injection is to different flow rates and pressure. Have yours packed up?
From memory they are in series.

Dude, you’re my hero. How was the breaking from 181 in the 124?

Very kind!
The brakes are SL500 300x28mm and 4 pots front, rears are 290mm w210 items. New fluid, Goodridge hoses and Yellow Stuff pads. The combo works really well. The standard sliders were never going to be upto the overtaking performance available - I did try!!!

:cool::cool: sounds like a low flying jet :D

Thanks - It really does eh?! The turbine whine and straight six soundtrack makes journeys a joy.

My wife knows exactly what my right foot is going by the pitch of the whine.... at cruising speeds it’s very muted, and interestingly keeps the inlet manifold at 0 psi, no vac, no pressure.

Why did the needle drop to zero then back up to 180?
The original speedo was a cable driven one, the new 6 speed box does not have cable drive so I had to source a 400e cluster from the states which was in MPH and like the 500’s is electronic. It had the old VDO disintegrating gears issue so I replaced those and then corrected the mileage to match the car. The speedo is now driven from a Hall effect sensor and Ecu on the rear diff and so when it goes over 160 instead of trying to bury the speedo into the plastic It gives up resets to 0 and waits for the signal to go back to 160 or below again.
Clever old VDO!

I've been upto my tricks again - installed a Quaife ATB LSD into my 210MM 2.65 diff and it works beautifully.

I also fitted Meyle HD Diff Carrier bushes that are longer than standard and by the feel of them have a higher shore strength too - but more flexible and forgiving than my DIY poly versions. They are perfect, no N&V and look fine after Saturdays shenanigans.

Finished the install on the Friday night...

Saturday went 1/2mile roll racing.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Saturdays Roll racing results.

Even in the wet with VERY limited traction the old girl likes worrying GTR's - splitting this pair of Lichfields (Rather pleased with that).

TV8.jpg

Just seen this. Absolutely brilliant. That speedo is pulling quickly all the way to 160mph!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom