W124 Underside Door Lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Niks

MB Enthusiast
I have a quiery regarding the lights underneath the doors on a 1995 W124 Saloon.

I would like to change the normal bulbs in them to something more "modern" like super bright white LED lights. Is this at all possible and simple to do? :confused:

I have a quiery regarding the lights underneath the doors on a 1995 W124 Saloon.

I would like to change the normal bulbs in them to something more "modern" like super bright white LED lights. Is this at all possible and simple to do? :confused:

You can take them out and fit what ever you like, do not go over the existing lamps wattage, but then with LED you do not have to:):)

Is it just a simple straight pull out and replace method? or does it involve rewiring or other things too?

Not rewiring as such if the lamp that you have are the long bulbs with a contact each end (festoon type) then you will have to change the holder,, there are only 2 wires but LEDS are polarity conscious so if they do not work one way,, just reverse the wires..

With the door card off you could buy a lamp holder to suit and fix it to the inner part of the door

Thanks mate, Im gonna have to look into this one. Thought it'd make a nice little interior door upgrade :)

Hi Niks,

You can get the festoon type bulbs but with LED's inside on Ebay ...

A few people i know have swapped their interior lights for them , they look very good. Nice crisp white light as opposed to the yellow tinge ...

H

Sorry for the large pictures, heres mine £3.99 each off eBay:

feb082a.jpg

feb082.jpg

Killerhertz
Are they brighter/better light spread than incandescent bulbs, or just a better colour?

hey thanks for that!! I didnt know such a thing existed for the doors.

I had a look at the rear number plate light...they are also the festoon type too which has contacts on both ends of the lightbulb. I want to get this changed to LED also, that'd give it a really cool effect!

hey thanks for that!! I didnt know such a thing existed for the doors.

I had a look at the rear number plate light...they are also the festoon type too which has contacts on both ends of the lightbulb. I want to get this changed to LED also, that'd give it a really cool effect!

If you change the number plate lights that will turn on your lamp failure bulb. you can shunt he lamp with a wire wound resistor to compensate

They are not quiet as bright as the standard bulbs, but look far better IMO.

As far as I know, you cant use them for the rear numberplate lights as they trigger the bulb out warning (on a W202 at least) not sure about a W124

Yeah , any LED bulbs trigger the w124 bulb warning ....

Either fit resistors ( pain ) or take the bulb out of the back of the cluster ...

Ah ok. Do you guys know which replacement LED size I would require for the doors by any chance?

These HERE are the exact same, and same seller as I used.

41mm was slightly larger than the old bulb, but I squeezed them in and theres no danger of them falling out.

Hope this helps :D

Cheers mate, I'll buy one and see how it looks and fits. If im happy with the results then i'll buy more for the other doors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom