W124 vs W210 Vote

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

V12

MB Enthusiast
Car
S320CDI LWB
Please vote in the poll and leave a comment or 2 if you wish.

This isn't from a technical point of view as the W210 is clearly the far superior vehicle.

This is all about your preference of which you would own and drive.

I've had (still have a W124) both and I think my W124 is a nicer "exerience".

Can't really put it into words but I enjoy every journey in the W124, whether that's because I keep it for dry days and the W210 was a daily driver (35k per year) for work I don't know.

Is it becase the W124 is rarer and approaching youngtimer classic status, not sure. The W210 was pretty new when I got it so the recent plate kudos may compensate.

The W210 was comfy, quiet, handled well, etc., likewise the W124.

Will the W210 gain the same following amongst MB enthuiasts in another few years...

PS Took W124 to local indy today for an oil service and general check-up.

W124 all day long its all about the square headlights, I love w124 coupe's

Never owned either but I wouldn't even consider a 210 I'm afraid, purely because of the rust issues.

Never had a 210 but love the 124. Its all about understated style. Somehow driving the 124 instills a sense of ocassion.

In the USA the W210 is considered far from the "superior" vehicle in any aspect...in fact it is overall "inferior" in quality.

Only have to look while driving and see how many 124's versus 210's are still on the street.

The 210 in the eyes of most USA Merc enthusiasts was the beginning of the decline of Merc build quality, reliability and durability.

Ed A.

The W210's look dated already whereas the W124 is timeless. The W210's also suffered premature demise because of the rust issues and were seemingly a major target of the cost cutting measures introduced post Chrysler merger.

124 always looked to me like it was trying to be 140. Loved 210 when it came out and it was different to 220 so an easy decision for me.

The W124 came out long before the W140 so if anything the W140 is modelled on the W124 and not the other way around.

Personally I think the 140 with its rounded corners looks more like a W210 (aside from the square headlights).

Ok, I am in the definite minority here with neither, but I am just not particularly fond of either. I have to admit I don't know much about the specs/quality/ride, but purely looks-wise my favourite E-class is the W211.

I've owned numerous 124's , and driven more besides , but have purposefully stayed away from 210's ( although have driven and passengered in them many times ) .

I love the sharp styling of the 124 , which it shares with the 190 , and to a lesser extent the 126 , but hate the bloated , melted look of the 210 along with most newer cars .

Having had several 124's long term , including one from nearly new , I know them to be durable and reliable ; while I have little personal experience of 210's , I have seen so many rusty ones both on the roads and in scrapyards , then there is the notorious front spring perch problem which seems to affect a great many of these cars . The 210 also seemed to be the point at which the cars became increasingly reliant on electronics and often troublesome because of it .

These are , of course , just my own impressions and are no more or less valid than anyone else's

Personally I think the 140 with its rounded corners looks more like a W210 (aside from the square headlights).

As the owner of a W140 I can see zero resemblance to the W210.

The W140 looks like design by photocopier. The W140 looks like an enlarged W124 which itself looks like an enlarged W201.

Last edited:
The W124 came out long before the W140 so if anything the W140 is modelled on the W124 and not the other way around.

Ah, didn't know that 124 predates the 140. I guess it makes it a little more special in my eyes now but still not enough to outweigh the 210 or the 140. A clean 55 W210 and 600 W140 are on my list of cars I'd like to own one day.

I'm personally in the w124 camp on my second one now a 300d first one being a w124 230te also had a 190e auto great little car being a bit of a home mechanic just find that anything that needs changing or servicing comes apart no problem nothing seized or breaks like many old fords I've also owned ,could some one upload some pics of these other merc models that have Been mentioned cheers

Having owned both I'm still a fan of the W124. Having said that, I wouldn't consider a W124 200E but would consider a W210 E200.

As for the larger engined cars a really nice W124 300E would get my money before a similar condition W210 E320. Still, not a lot wrong with the W210 bar the questionable looks (which seem to have have mellowed over time) and the quick onset of rust.

I have driven a couple of 210's. I personally don't like the modern look, the quality doesn't seem as good.
I considered buying one at one stage simply for a cheap estate but that had some serious problems.
Not really sure what is superior about them really?

When we got our 124 it was simply because we wanted a simple reliable estate dog carrier for around £3-5k. The Mercedes was nicer inside and to drive over a Volvo 940.
We have had these cars in the family before so they where a very known quantity, couldn't find a Peugeot 505 at the time so didn't even consider anything else.

Not really sure what is superior about them really?

Chassis, as in comfort and handling?
Nicer Steering?
More space?
Better standard equipment?
Better MPG?
Better emissions?
Better NCAP rating?
More options?
Bigger engine range?

I suppose it's just like any new model, generally it's an overall improvement on the previous model.

:D:thumb: I voted with my ignition keys

Dare I bring the W123 into the mix ??

I'd hazard that the W123 is to the W124 , what the W124 is to the W210 .....

I've had numerous W123's as well ( all variants - saloons , coupes , estates , all with the 280 engine , and some smaller engined saloons too ) .

I still have a soft spot for the W123 with hewn-from-solid construction and no compromise engineering that in some aspects puts even the W124 to shame .

with hewn-from-solid construction and no compromise engineering

Is that not a contradiction?........ only pulling your leg ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom