W124 Wagon. Petrol Flap Solenoid Mech?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Folks

I have just noticed that my solenoid is not working meaning i have to use the manual plunger.

I suspect that this is down to excess paint in the mech (car has just had a bare metal re-spray). The manual plunger is stiff. Liberal use of WD40 has not freed this up. I need to get the mech out to clean it up. The vac appears to be OK.

How do I get it out please?

Idiot of the week award goes to me: It is working as it should and probably always was. Reading Graeme's linked post it is designed to operate "only" with the central locking.

So when I lock the doors the solenoid vac locks the fuel flap. When I drive the car with the doors unlocked the flap is unlocked.

Should there be a spring that hold the flap in the closed position?

Mine stays closed as it has a small amount of resistance on the hinges. Without this it would be flapping about in the breeze.

The fuel filler door should have a spring which handily serves as a stowage for the filler cap. I have a spare one kicking around somewhere if you want but I can't imagine they'd be very expensive new from MB.

3810131454_3d74be3936.jpg

Roadhog

It is this spring that I am missing! Thank you. I will happily take your spring if you could let me know a price with postage to Kent please.

Thank you again.

Bruce

PM me your address and call it my contribution to your excellent restoration. :thumb:

Hang on, not quite enough posts for PM to work...

There, one more. That should do it?

Big thank you to Roadhog. The Spring arrived and was fitted today. Lovely.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Last edited:
No problem, happy to help. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom